• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replaced oil filter, caused sparks to fly.... ?

sheliable

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yeah so this is a weird one... I was replacing the oil filter on my truck this morning, as i went to use my oil filter wrench to break it loose (which is metal) the wrench also touched some sort of metal line next to it and sparks flew everywhere. The line had some shielding on it which was out of place but i moved it back before proceeding. This happened twice and was concerning as hell considering once the filter breaks loose there is a bunch of flammable motor oil with the potential of sparks in close prox with eachother in my engine compartment. Never ever had this happen when changing oil on any car or truck. Any ideas what I was splicing the oil filter together with to produce the sparks?

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
You have a wire with the insulation missing / damaged. No clue how the wires run on a 3.0, sorry..... kinda thinking starter power wire, but I don't know if that is possible. On the 4.0 the starter and oil filter are on opposite sides of the engine. Trace the wire out, what does it attach to?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I suspect that's the power wire to the starter, it should be insulated well enough to prevent that. Is it about 3/8" diameter?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You might make sure that "line" wasn't the main battery cable to the starter.

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
i highly doubt some sparks would ignite engine oil, ignition point is higher than gas

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
If the '02 3.0 is roughly the same as my '94 3.0 then you should have two rather large wires in the area of the oil filter. One wire is a engine block ground, which shouldn't be causing the sparking. The other wire is the main power feed to the starter, which will make your life very exciting if you touch it and complete a circuit between it and a tool. As silly as it sounds, I disconnect my battery when I am working around the filter or the brake proportioning valve or the starter because it only takes a moment of inattention to make a light show when you least expect it.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
You've been initiated into the 3 liter oil change crowd,

the starter's heavy 12v terminal is right in the path that the filter needs when one pulls it down to replace. There should also be a plastic funnel that is right above the solenoid attached to the block to allow a path for the excess oil to flow past the solenoid. One has to be careful when removing & installing a filter & keep it to the chassis side & clear of the starter. Not much room up in there.

sheliable

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You've been initiated into the 3 liter oil change crowd,

the starter's heavy 12v terminal is right in the path that the filter needs when one pulls it down to replace. There should also be a plastic funnel that is right above the solenoid attached to the block to allow a path for the excess oil to flow past the solenoid. One has to be careful when removing & installing a filter & keep it to the chassis side & clear of the starter. Not much room up in there.
Fun times! Thanks for the response. I almost shit myself first time I went to pull the filter...

BRUDAHS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B3000
Transmission
Automatic
Some liquid electrical tape should stop that from happening again.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Just disconnect the battery cable when changing the oil... wouldn't surprise me if it was step one of the oil change procedure.

TinyTig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah so this is a weird one... I was replacing the oil filter on my truck this morning, as i went to use my oil filter wrench to break it loose (which is metal) the wrench also touched some sort of metal line next to it and sparks flew everywhere. The line had some shielding on it which was out of place but i moved it back before proceeding. This happened twice and was concerning as hell considering once the filter breaks loose there is a bunch of flammable motor oil with the potential of sparks in close prox with eachother in my engine compartment. Never ever had this happen when changing oil on any car or truck. Any ideas what I was splicing the oil filter together with to produce the sparks?

This literally just happened to me, too. Scared the hell out of me. Ended up dropping my wrench into the bucket of oil i just drained.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Just disconnect the battery cable when changing the oil... wouldn't surprise me if it was step one of the oil change procedure.
Thats step one according to any book for anything. Changing a tire? Disconnect battery. Wiper? Better make sure the battery is disconnected. Vacuuming carpet? Disconnect that battery you mf'er

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
This literally just happened to me, too. Scared the hell out of me. Ended up dropping my wrench into the bucket of oil i just drained.
Keeps the tool from rusting

helpme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why are you using an oil filter wrench anyway? I just reach down in between the manifold and steering shaft and twist it off with my hand and pull it up from the top. I change oil in the morning when the engine is cold. Put a rag beneath the filter so oil won't drip down into the starter.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals