• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Removing top speed govenor??

liquid10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
I discovered today that my 08 Ranger was governed to 90 mph (WTF???). I know that an aftermarket chip will fix this but I don't really need a custom tune or want to spend $300, I just want the govenor gone.

RangerMan64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why the hell would they govern it so low?
Well I don't believe you can remove the governor without installing an aftermarket chip.

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
I discovered today that my 08 Ranger was governed to 90 mph (WTF???). I know that an aftermarket chip will fix this but I don't really need a custom tune or want to spend $300, I just want the govenor gone.
:icon_confused: unless you plan on taking it to the track, why would you want to go faster than 90mph anyhow? how's your performance up to 90mph? if 90mph ain't fast enough, try leaving earlier :D . not trying to be a smart a$$ but unless you plan your truck putting out insane horsepower you might be stuck with the gov :annoyed:

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The speed governor is installed for stupid people's protection!

tanbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i dont know if your truck will do this, but a superduty will go past the governed speed if u turn the key and hold it on the start position. It wont engage the started cause your in gear. give it a try if not then u gotta chip it.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The speed governor is installed for stupid people's protection!
I agree!

Why would a Ranger need to go over 90mph anyway?

What is the Speed Limit where you live?

projectAtoB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
if the man wants to go over 90 mph dont knock him for it. Just because those of you who dont want to go faster....... or dont have the guts to go faster! So what? that wasnt his question! if you dont have an answer, dont comment. as for the speed limiter, i have no clue how they work in trucks and cars, but i do know that on crotch rockets. they retard the timing and add an extra rev limiter in 5th and 6th gears. people have tricked the computers on those to think that the bike is in 4th gear instead of 5th or 6th when it is actually in the higher gears. maybee if your good with computers or wiring you could do the same. i may be way off here just passing on what little i know about speed limiters.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
if the man wants to go over 90 mph dont knock him for it.
we knock him for it because we have to share the same roads with people like this.

ford governs ALL its trucks to 92 MPH because a trucks suspension is not designed for the forces at play at higher speeds...anyone who has experienced suspension resonation knows what im talking about. your driving a truck, not a porsche.

on crotch rockets. they retard the timing
ford limits revs and speed by alternately cutting fuel from the cylinders by shutting the fuel injectors off.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals