• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Removing stickers

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
On my other half's Lexus, but same principles apply for Rangers.
It had a lot of bumper stickers, and decals inside the windows. Razor blade works for decals on glass. For those plastic bumper stickers that seem to grip like death itself, what I did is boil water and using rag, warm up the decal, that softened the adhesive enough to get them off without too much trouble, even if in pieces. Or heat gun could work, but with water I know I wouldn't go too hot.
Then you are left with a residue of adhesive. Often plain rubbing alcohol 90% will get that off, especially on glass. For the really stubborn stuff on the bumpers, I use Saab Bug and Tar Remover (it's about 25 years old). It takes off road tar, and it takes off that residue, and it will not touch the paint or harm plastic. They got the mix of aromatics just right on that stuff, I have a pint but I wouldn't mind having some more if I could get it. I'm sure there are other similar formulations. I tend to stay away from, say, lacquer thinner because it will take off paint. Kerosene might actually work, not sure.
There were several political stickers on it that probably run counter to the general mood here, and she said she thinks she's already getting parking lot hits and I said maybe take off the stickers and that might help because some people might be hitting it on purpose. It could happen.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Yeah, for glass or chrome, razor blade.

For paint and plastic, I use a heat gun on low if the sticker doesn’t pull up easily.

Either way, Goo Gone works well for any residue and is paint and plastic safe.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yup, glass and chrome, definitely a razor blade. I’ll also use ”soapy water“, a spray bottle with water and a few drops of dish soap. What you use if you don’t buy the special sauce for putting on window tint. Helps lubricate and pick up and carry away dirt and adhesive.

I try to only put on paint what I intend to leave there “forever” which isn’t most stickers since usually eventually they look like trash. Glass makes a great canvas on a vehicle.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Yup, glass and chrome, definitely a razor blade. I’ll also use ”soapy water“, a spray bottle with water and a few drops of dish soap. What you use if you don’t buy the special sauce for putting on window tint. Helps lubricate and pick up and carry away dirt and adhesive.

I try to only put on paint what I intend to leave there “forever” which isn’t most stickers since usually eventually they look like trash. Glass makes a great canvas on a vehicle.
I've just plain stopped with the stickers anywhere. Paint, for the reasons you state. Glass, because I've gotten tired of replacing stickers as they get chewed up from scraping frost and ice and just plain deterioration from sun light exposure. Even the Search and Rescue stickers. The TRS stickers are on the paint but there is no plan to remove them and even the colored ones on the 2011 are holding their color very well. So, they stay. Jim did a good job picking who makes them and what they use to make them.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I've just plain stopped with the stickers anywhere. Paint, for the reasons you state. Glass, because I've gotten tired of replacing stickers as they get chewed up from scraping frost and ice and just plain deterioration from sun light exposure. Even the Search and Rescue stickers. The TRS stickers are on the paint but there is no plan to remove them and even the colored ones on the 2011 are holding their color very well. So, they stay. Jim did a good job picking who makes them and what they use to make them.
I put stickers on the back glass and don’t scrape that at all. My first vehicle was a Ranger with tinted glass and a cap with tinted glass, the rear view mirror in the center was virtually worthless. After I mastered driving a manual on that, I was often stuck in the “extra” dump truck for work. The center rear view mirror, being entirely useless in that particular application, was missing. I could care less if I can’t see out of it, I’m entirely used to that. Driving a brand new Ranger and a dump truck back then I could maintain a very precise 3D mental image of my surroundings. I once tucked my Ranger neatly into a spot roughly 3’ longer than the truck, parallel parking on the left, or “wrong” side and got cheers from an old couple on their front porch that witnessed it executed flawlessly.

It’s a little less refined these days unfortunately, but I’m working on it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals