• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Removing Speedo Cable from Cab?

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
All hail the mighty ziptie!
I drive(more time repairing than driving) a 1994 Ranger extended cab, 4.0 OHV, auto tranny, auto 4x4, Dana35 front, stock 8.8/3.73 rear, 1994 uses a mechanical speedometer.

I'm in the middle of a larger project where I'm servicing my power steering components and replacing rocker arms and pushrods. I figured while I'm at it I'll replace the speedo cable since my speedometer has been jumping around and making a loud grinding noise in the cab. I have my instrument panel off but I don't know how I'm supposed to get the cable through the floor of the cab through that rubber bushing thing it goes through, the cable seems too big at the end to fit through it. So am I supposed to disassemble part of the cable to get it out? I know I could cut the cable but then how am I supposed to get the new cable in?

Also as a secondary question, since I'm posting this here, do you guys know if this will fix the problem with my speedo? It's been jumping around at all speeds but it gets really bad at around 65mph(I've been using a GPS as a speedometer) when it starts jumping between 45 and 85, it only makes noise when it jumps around. I figured I'd try the cable first since there's some obvious damage to it. I can inspect the actual speedometer now since it's out of the vehicle so if you have any places I should check let me know, I don't want to have to pull this off again.

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Here are some pictures:

The spot I'm trying to fit through, taken from the inside of the cab:

The spot I'm trying to get through, the cable I'm holding is the speedo cable, taken from underneath the vehicle:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Go the other way. Take the butterfly pin out of the speed sensor and remove it from the cable. Once the grommet is removed that hole is more than big enough for the trans end of the cable.

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Go the other way. Take the butterfly pin out of the speed sensor and remove it from the cable. Once the grommet is removed that hole is more than big enough for the trans end of the cable.
Yah... I looked at the new cable and it became pretty mind numbingly obvious, thank you.

Do you know how to get the cotter pins off of the rocker arm shaft by any chance?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
A 3/32" punch is the best way. A small nail will do in a pinch.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals