• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Removing Heads - Stuck exhaust manifold bolts

ant.xlt.96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L v6
Transmission
Automatic
Tearing down the engine in my 96 4.0 OHV v6 to replace head gaskets. I've got the passenger side head removed, but the driver's side is a PITA! I've been able to remove 2 of the 6 bolts going into the head, but don't have enough clearance with my 1/2" drive breaker bar to get the leverage it needs to budge. Didn't have issue with the passenger side. No broken/ snapped bolts at all. Been soaking them with PB Blaster, went in from the wheelwell, hammered at the rust...nothing. :shout:

The clearance issue is with the steering column, I think? (This is my first tear down past the lower manifold, so I'm still familiarizing myself with everything under the hood.)

Any tips or leads to a specific tool would be appreciated. I'm working on it in the street in front of the house, so I'd like to get it apart and back together asap. I also don't have access to a torch or tools to drill out a busted bolt.

Thanks guys!

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tearing down the engine in my 96 4.0 OHV v6 to replace head gaskets. I've got the passenger side head removed, but the driver's side is a PITA! I've been able to remove 2 of the 6 bolts going into the head, but don't have enough clearance with my 1/2" drive breaker bar to get the leverage it needs to budge. Didn't have issue with the passenger side. No broken/ snapped bolts at all. Been soaking them with PB Blaster, went in from the wheelwell, hammered at the rust...nothing. :shout:

The clearance issue is with the steering column, I think? (This is my first tear down past the lower manifold, so I'm still familiarizing myself with everything under the hood.)

Any tips or leads to a specific tool would be appreciated. I'm working on it in the street in front of the house, so I'd like to get it apart and back together asap. I also don't have access to a torch or tools to drill out a busted bolt.

Thanks guys!

either pull y pipe and pull exhaust manifold with head and remove after head is removed. or use heat choice is yours

WarHawk-AVG

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Semper Fi
I have seen this around several places

50/50 mix of the cheapest ATF transmission fluid and acetone

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182271
Homemade Penetrating Oil

For All of you Mechanic's and Self doer’s out there.
Penetrating Oil - interesting
This was in one of the Military Vehicle Club newsletters

Here is an interesting finding on Penetrating Oils
Recently “Machinist Workshop Magazine” did a test on penetrating oils. Using nuts and
bolts that they ‘scientifically rusted’ to a uniform degree by soaking in salt water, they then
tested the break-out torque required to loosen the nuts. They treated the nuts with a variety
of penetrants and measured the torque required to loosen them.
This is what they came up with:
Nothing: 516 lbs
WD-40: 238 lbs;
PB Blaster: 214 lbs;
Liquid Wrench: 127 lbs,
Kano Kroil: 106 lbs
(ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50): 50 lbs.

This last “shop brew” of 50% automatic transmission fluid and 50% acetone appears to beat
out the commercially prepared products costing far more.

NOTE: I can't personally vouch for the results, 'cause I haven't read the magazine or tried it yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WuVBFTzoKc

Also I have found those ratcheting wrenches absolutely INCREDIBLE for tight spaces...
http://www.sears.com/tools-wrenches-ratcheting-wrenches-sets/b-1214364371

There is also the trick to get more leverage from a standard combination wrench by locking another one in the jaws of the other...

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Removing the steering column is a possibility as well. As mark88 said " it's not that hard ".

downer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97 4.0 OHV 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
a 3/8 ratchet, wobble socket and cheater on it. pulling the hood off helped too.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If I am pulling a head to do head gaskets I leave the manifolds on them and just unbolt the manifold from the y-pipe. It's less work and gives you a nice handle.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
If I am pulling a head to do head gaskets I leave the manifolds on them and just unbolt the manifold from the y-pipe. It's less work and gives you a nice handle.
After my first head R+R in 30 yrs, this is gonna be my MOP on the next one I do. To the OP. Why do you feel you needed to replace the head gaskets? Is this a common old 4.0 thing? Did it over heat? :icon_confused:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
yeah....the 4 liter is called the 4 leaker in some areas. they get low on coolant and pop gaskets pretty easily post fast burn head design...

i do it the same as adsm. only pull manifolds when they are broke....and the passenger sides bust alot.

ant.xlt.96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L v6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for all the tips guys! I tried them all and once the exhaust manifold bolts started to feel like they wanted to round off I went for the Y. Lucked out and both bolts came out easy. Just about to attempt to pull off the head. It's loosened up and ready to go. :icon_hornsup:

After my first head R+R in 30 yrs, this is gonna be my MOP on the next one I do. To the OP. Why do you feel you needed to replace the head gaskets? Is this a common old 4.0 thing? Did it over heat? :icon_confused:
Hey Andy, I was having some major issues with coolant loss that turned into a white smoke exhaust problem. Went in earlier this month and changed out the lower manifold gasket, but had a hunch after I did that job that the real problem was the left head after finding a drip from the gasket to the oil pan. No mixing of coolant and oil, so wanted to change out gaskets before things got worse.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for all the tips guys! I tried them all and once the exhaust manifold bolts started to feel like they wanted to round off I went for the Y. Lucked out and both bolts came out easy. Just about to attempt to pull off the head. It's loosened up and ready to go. :icon_hornsup:

Hey Andy, I was having some major issues with coolant loss that turned into a white smoke exhaust problem. Went in earlier this month and changed out the lower manifold gasket, but had a hunch after I did that job that the real problem was the left head after finding a drip from the gasket to the oil pan. No mixing of coolant and oil, so wanted to change out gaskets before things got worse.
Now go and have your heads checked for flatness and cracks:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals