• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Removing carpet - will the floor beneath be readily washable

sebastian323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am thinking of pulling the carpet (its filthy and old) from my 1996 extended cab. I wonder if the floor beneath will be readily washable or if there some sort of wires I need to protect. What are the downsides of pulling the carpet ( I assume it gets colder in the cabin)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Should be fine to wash

Wires tend to be at the edge by the doors but no low connectors except for the seats, so washing won't bother them

Without carpet it will be a bit noisier, you really need something down even if its vinyl flooring

You can get replacement carpet for extended cab or regular cab, for about $150 with new backing for +$50 or so

BrooksK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 and 2004
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I am obsessed with birds.
I am thinking of pulling the carpet (its filthy and old) from my 1996 extended cab. I wonder if the floor beneath will be readily washable or if there some sort of wires I need to protect. What are the downsides of pulling the carpet ( I assume it gets colder in the cabin)
I can show you what to expect. Here's my 1996 single cab during a carpet replacement.

I got the new carpet from Rockauto for around $125. Well worth it.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The metal is no meant to be washable, so, a coating would be an answer to that problem. I would remove the body mount covers and make sure there are 1/4" holes drilled into the corners of the mount so water can escape. Probably towards the back of the truck would work better in a salt state. On my 1985 B2 I noticed they were there on at least some positions.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I ran mine with a bare metal floor for a few years, just last fall I put a new vynil floor in. Got a box of sticky sound deadner squares (like dynomat, just not that brand-think it was “kilmat”) and coverd the floorpan after doing some patching of the floor. Then put in the new vynil floor covering. Bought both off of fleabay, think the vynil floor was $140, the box of kilmat was about $50. I still have about half of it left. It is much quieter now, cant speak for heat insulation as its never been a very warm vehicle and usually remains in hibernation during the wintet, mostly due to wanting to keep it out of the salt bath. It took me most of the day to do but I do feel it was worth it.
83A3CEE6-35F1-47E0-8BF9-7B4D2FB1F6C0.jpeg

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Most newer vehicles have wire harnesses that run under the carpet anymore. You’ll need to do something to protect them if you decide to pull the carpet.

If it was me, I would go with installing a vinyl floor if you want something washable.

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
I washed my carpet at a carwash. It came out nice

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals