• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Removing cab plus door panels?

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
I need to get these off my '99 to repair door latch cable mountings. Is there any trick to it or do you just gradually pull it off? Don't want to break something.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Remove any screws, window crank if you have one, then start from the bottom and work your way around the edges. A flat bar or one of these helps a lot. The door panel is held in by trim clips. Carefully it up a little and see where the clips are - start at one clip and don't pry between them.

download.jpg

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I don't know on a '99 Ranger/Mazda, but on my '94 Ranger you pull the card upwards after removing the window crank (if present) and I think there's at least one phillips screw on it. Those panels have molded plastic "fingers" that slide into openings in the door sheet metal.

On the other hand, my older Ranger and Bronco II, and my '94 Explorers, all use the older-style "christmas tree" push-in clips, and you do pry outward (not upward) to disengage the clips.

If prying on your panel ain't working (go easy!), try pulling the panel upwards.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yes, that! I thought the door panel on the door I put on my '97 (from a '94) had trim clips like every other Ford door panel I've pulled off (many) but when I pulled out I broke almost all of the ramps that hold the panel on like Robbie said Turns out it was like 3 screws and a door crank that held it on then it just lifted up... I have no idea on the '97 panel since I didn't get the original door and I haven't taken the passenger side door panel off to fix the window rattle...

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I thought the door panel on the door I put on my '97 (from a '94) had trim clips like every other Ford door panel I've pulled off (many) but when I pulled out I broke almost all of the ramps that hold the panel on
The last time I pulled the '94's door panel I spent an hour pulling and prying on it and cursing at it, and THEN remembered that it slid up. DOH!

My CRS gets me all the time, and it doesn't help that an Explorer panel pops off, yet a same year Ranger panel slides off.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals