• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Remove battery while truck is running?

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Can I take the battery out of my truck (just for a few minutes) while my truck is running?

Just wondering if I could do that without messing anything up?

We used to do it a lot in high school but we did lots of things then that I've learned now that shouldn't have been done.

Only reason I'm thinking about it so that I could recharge my boat battery off my alternator.

I've thought about a dual battery set-up (with the second battery postion being temporary so I could have the battery in or not) but I'm just confident enough in my electrical knowledge to pull that off.

:icon_confused:

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was always told not to do it on FI engines, but in a pinch you can with the old-old carb engines that only power a coil as long as you have no other load on like lights, or a radio.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Most will tell you not to do it as there is a remote possibility an electrical spike will damage the electronics in the vehicle.

I have removed the cables several times on computer controlled automobiles with no problems. I think as long as the charging system is working properly, there is little danger.

If you remove the negative cable first, and put it on last, the battery absorbs much of the spike reducing the danger.

In your case, you could change the batteries, then jumper the good battery to start the truck. Use your own judgement.:)shady

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
In your case, you could change the batteries, then jumper the good battery to start the truck. Use your own judgement.:)shady

Damn! That's such a simple solution, I wish I'd thought of that.

Thanks for the idea!

Duh.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you remove the negative cable first, and put it on last, the battery absorbs much of the spike reducing the danger.
That's like when I told this guy that the reason he was going through so many lightbulbs was that he was snapping the switch on too fast.

Don't unhook the battery. If everything in the vehicle is turned off and the battery is fully charged then the alternator is not working very hard and probably there won't be much of a spike in voltage. But if the battery is discharged and the alternator is pumping 40 amps into it and you suddenly unhook it, the milliseconds of time it takes for the alternator to reduce output means the output flashes through every system that is drawing any current at all and it means upwards of 100V may flash through the system. The battery is a load and it's draw on the alternator reduces the system voltage which triggers the alternator to increase output trying to catch it back up. It's exactly like playing tug-o-war and one team suddenly letting go of their end. If nobody is pulling very hard, no big deal most likely. What's your tolerance for risk though?

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That's like when I told this guy that the reason he was going through so many lightbulbs was that he was snapping the switch on too fast.

Don't unhook the battery. If everything in the vehicle is turned off and the battery is fully charged then the alternator is not working very hard and probably there won't be much of a spike in voltage. But if the battery is discharged and the alternator is pumping 40 amps into it and you suddenly unhook it, the milliseconds of time it takes for the alternator to reduce output means the output flashes through every system that is drawing any current at all and it means upwards of 100V may flash through the system. The battery is a load and it's draw on the alternator reduces the system voltage which triggers the alternator to increase output trying to catch it back up. It's exactly like playing tug-o-war and one team suddenly letting go of their end. If nobody is pulling very hard, no big deal most likely. What's your tolerance for risk though?

Makes perfect sense. When I need to do this (won't be often, I have 2 boat batteries to use up before I need anything re-charged. I'd need to be out a long time to drain batts-this'll just be when I'm out on longer trips, 3-5 days or more) I'll just throw the dead battery in the truck and boost off the good one.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Could he use a battery isolator and hook up the boat battery as a "back-up" to get the desired result?

Pete

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Could he use a battery isolator and hook up the boat battery as a "back-up" to get the desired result?

Pete
Somebody had suggested tha but Isolators are way expensive, someone else suggested using a solenoid to run a second battery. That's beyond my skill/knowledge level though so I'll just do the swap/boost.

ranger1911

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
would hooking the batteries up in parallel work?
(positive to positive, negative to negative)

save voltage, just more amperes, the alternator would charge both batteries while running. that and you don't have to unhook battery cables and lift batteries in and out of your truck.

i always hook up positive first, then negative.

have fun on your boat :)

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
would hooking the batteries up in parallel work?
(positive to positive, negative to negative)

save voltage, just more amperes, the alternator would charge both batteries while running. that and you don't have to unhook battery cables and lift batteries in and out of your truck.

i always hook up positive first, then negative.

have fun on your boat :)
yes, you would put the batteries side by side, go positive of one to positive of the other, negative of one to the other. than take positive off one battery, then negative off other to give you 12 volts but have 2 batteries. just make sure you dont run them in series, as in, positive out, negative to posive of other battery, then negative of other battery out. this will give you 24 volts and fry everything. good luck to ya :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals