• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Reman power steering gearboxes that aren't trash

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Has anyone found any reman steering boxes that aren't trash? I just replaced the reman box I had about a year ago because of excessive play, new one was fine for a few months and now the play is back. there is no play in any tie rod end, or ball joint, the pitman arm is tight, and the rag joints are fine. The factory box that I swapped at just over 300k had no play it just leaked from everywhere. Once I replace this box it'll be the 4th reman I've swapped in 100k. I've bought boxes made by both Cardone and BBB industries that major parts houses have slapped their name on. I thought about Red Head but I've heard their quality has suffered in recent years. I've got a 100k mile box out of a 4x2 truck that I'm tempted to install then get this reman warrantied out and stick it on the shelf if the non rebuilt box ever goes bad. Thoughts?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I've used three Cardone boxes from Carquest in the past few years and two of them have been perfect. The third works fine on the road but it seems like it's harder to steer off road than with the old box - maybe it is my imagination.

Fortunately they have a lifetime warranty so I'll just swap them out if I ever have trouble. Maybe you just got a bad run of them - hard to say.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Everything I’ve ever heard is that Red Head and Blue Top are pretty much the best out there. I e never used either of them, so I don’t have any first hand experience.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
I've used three Cardone boxes from Carquest in the past few years and two of them have been perfect. The third works fine on the road but it seems like it's harder to steer off road than with the old box - maybe it is my imagination.

Fortunately they have a lifetime warranty so I'll just swap them out if I ever have trouble. Maybe you just got a bad run of them - hard to say.
The first reman I had was fine play wise until it started leaking, didn't have the time or want to repair it myself so I got it warrantied out at Advance and swapped in another, it developed play after about 10k miles, went to warranty it out and Advance "updated their system" and couldn't find where i had purchased it and had no record I had ever purchased anything from them ever... went and bought a reman from O'Reilly and installed that, really nice looking box with all Ford stamped seals and such, now it has about 3 inches of play in it also, I've considered adjusting the preload to see how much I can remove but I'm on the fence about it. This box also has a lifetime warranty but I shouldn't need to exchange it yearly...

Everything I’ve ever heard is that Red Head and Blue Top are pretty much the best out there. I e never used either of them, so I don’t have any first hand experience.
I've been doing some research on both of them, red head has had some quality issues in recent years from what I can tell, going to research blue top a bit more and see what I find. I'm considering going with one of them over the reman I have currently, might try adjusting per factory spec and see what happens.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I replaced my power steering pump with the same Ford remanufactured unit from O'Reilly. Mine is working great so far. I am not sure how a power steering pump would cause play. That sounds like something bad in the steering rack that would result in play. Then again, I am not that familiar with how that system works.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I would be tempted to simply try and fix it myself. Three times of doing the same job over because of someone else's sloppy work is more then enough for me.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
I replaced my power steering pump with the same Ford remanufactured unit from O'Reilly. Mine is working great so far. I am not sure how a power steering pump would cause play. That sounds like something bad in the steering rack that would result in play. Then again, I am not that familiar with how that system works.
Pump is fine, it's the coveted heavy duty thunderbird pump that Cardone hasn't made in years. It's the gear that's junk, truck is too old for a steering rack but the gear serves the same purpose.

I would be tempted to simply try and fix it myself. Three times of doing the same job over because of someone else's sloppy work is more then enough for me.
That's kinda the way I'm leaning currently, I'm going to look over the other box I have and see if it's worth doing anything with, if it is I'll probably run that, as I know it hasn't been abused too badly over it's lifetime and warranty the reman I've got. I'll try adjusting it up a bit first, once I see if it voids my warranty or not though.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If it's just loose I'd adjust the preload- but that will probably be the end of your warranty. Lift both front wheels off the ground and tighten the preload screw slowly while turning the steering wheel back and forth at the center of travel, if it drags back it off slightly- maybe 1/8 turn. Once it doesn't bind on center you're set. Before adjusting it I'd check the steering shaft to make sure you're not feeling a worn u joint or broken rag joint.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Pump is fine, it's the coveted heavy duty thunderbird pump that Cardone hasn't made in years. It's the gear that's junk, truck is too old for a steering rack but the gear serves the same purpose.
Sorry, I misread your post. For some reason, I had pump on the brain. I did not realize you did not have rack and pinion steering. I have a couple old cars with steering boxes and I know they do wear. I also know they can be adjusted, but even that fails to work at some point.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I bought the Motorcraft one - STG41RM, and it has been great, no issues at all. I paired it with a Motorcraft pump (STP25RM) and the correct Type F fluid and have no whine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals