• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Reman. Cylinder Head Saga

CAJones

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have been watching YouTube videos on how to take a head off, it doesn't look hard at all. How to properly mark the timing belt/gears isn't clear yet, but I need to do more research. That seems like the only thing that requires precision, other than torquing the head back down onto the gasket.

I wonder if this will also explain the coolant level dropping and the 0420 code for the catalytic converter.

What is next for me is:
Talk to the wife
Research more on how to disassemble everything so that I don't run into problems during the assembly process
Label, picture, and write down the order in which I take everything off
Remove the head to see what the gasket looks like
Take the head to a machine shop to check for cracks and if it is flat enough. Also have them look at each valve to see if it is seating properly and if it is loose. I am hoping this will be under $500 to fix.
Reinstall in reverse with a new gasket set, head bolts, timing belt.

Remaining questions:
Everything to do with the timing belt
Anything I should replace while I am taking the everything apart? Thermostat?
What about the engine block? Anything to check with that?
Should I replace the oil pan gasket too? It is leaking oil, but I don't know where it is coming from.
Will taking the oil pan off show me anything?

CAJones

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
After about 10 hours of work over two days I got the block off. There wasn't much fluid in the radiator and seeing what cylinder 1 looks like...was cylinder 1 burning coolant? Is that why it is so shiny as compared to the other 3 cylinders?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yup, #1 was being "steam cleaned" by coolant leaking in

Take head to a Machine shop to be cleaned and pressure tested, then surfaced
If you buy a "head gasket kit" it will come with Valve Guide seals, drop those off with the head and shop will install them, unless you have a valve spring compressor that works for this head, then you can do that

Clean off the block surfaces while you wait to get the head back

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Good work! Looks like you're well on your way to having it fixed up, 2.3s are quite easy to work on.

Probably goes without saying but now is a great time to put a thermostat and water pump in as well since you've got everything exposed right now.

CAJones

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Machine shop already called back. Cleaned it and found two cracks, one about an inch long, I'm going to pick it back up tomorrow morning. So time to find a reconditioned one online and then bring it to the mechanic to be pressure tested. This project keeps getting more and more complicated! Due to the damage on the head and the 300k on the bottom end, I am wondering if the bottom end is actually in that great of shape to be doing all this work for?

Also found that the thermostat was put on with RTV, I figured there would be a gasket for this.
@RonD The engine bay, clutch, transmission are all caked into oil/dust.

@Shran I pulled the thermostat and it seemed like it was crooked and had a thick layer of rusty sediment...surprise, surprise. I was wondering about pulling the water pump as well.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Looks like you can get new complete heads for under $500... how long do you plan on keeping the truck? How do the cylinder walls look?

Might take a quick peek through car-part.com and see if you can just find a complete low/lowish/lower mile engine instead.

CAJones

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I am not planning on keeping for more than another 10k miles. I would like to get another small truck, just one with air conditioning and 4 wheel drive in the next year. Goal is to get it working, use it for a bit, sell it for a few grand.

I am not sure how the cylinder walls look or what to look for, use a ratchet to rotate the pistons and look for grooves?

Replacing the whole engine is too much work for me. At that point it isn't worth it to me. Was hoping to stay under $500 to fix it, but if it is closer to $750 for all of the other parts, I would be overjoyed with a working truck again.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its called crosshatching on cylinder walls, and yes turn the crank until piston is down all the way and use a light to see the crosshatching

You want to see those kind of "scratches" they hold oil on the cylinder walls

Looks like this: https://forum.e-bodies.org/dlattach/topic=522.0;attach=3875;image
And this: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-pRylbDV04rE/T8vm_kBxP_I/AAAAAAAADbA/ne2BzoF4w3Q/s720/IMG_9026.JPG

A bad scratch is a straight up and down line, it means a ring on the piston is stuck in its channel, if you can feel it with your finger nail its a bad scratch

CAJones

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Finally able to make it to the hardware store to get a 7/8 socket to rotate the engine. It rotates very easily with a just a tiny bit of noise from the cylinders, no idea if that means anything. I checked for scratches by eye and with fingertip/nail on all the cylinders and didn't find anything.

The only thing I noticed was that cylinder 1 looked worse than the rest right at the top where the blown head gasket was, which you can see in picture 2. It is rough to the touch like a fine metal file. It almost looks like the cylinder is closer to that side of the bore than the radiator side.

Attachments

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
The blackish color between #1 and #2 is sometimes a sign that the head gasket was allowing the two cylinders to trade gases back and forth. That would make it run very poorly. If you look at the exhaust valves on 3&4, they are 'brownish', while those in #1&#2 are black. Black is not getting hot, while tan/brown and dry looking indicates they are getting hot, which is to be expected.
Cracks can be repaired, in some cases. You may find a complete used head at a boneyard or check c-list/facebookMarketplace.
I would expect a head to be in the $100-200 range, or a complete engine for ~$300-500 depending on condition.
If you have a U-pull type lot within a reasonable distance, complete engines are even less.
You can likely get by with re-using the head bolts. The older ones were just torqued, the newer might be torque-to-yield, but if you want to take a chance... I have re-used head bolts in other 4 cylinders with success, but it's your dime.
tom

CAJones

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Are you talking about the head or the block?

It isn't worth it to repair the cracks, would cost the same as reconditioned head. So you find a head for $200 from a junkyard, but you have no idea if it is cracked or if the valves are burnt? So why risk $200, when you can spend $450 for a brand new head?

Edit: Changed the title of this thread to describe my problem. Before I put all of this back together, I am trying to figure out if the marks on the #1 cylinder wall are an issue.

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you can't feel them with finger nail they are not an issue

CAJones

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It is more rough than score marks, like 220 sandpaper.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Honestly a elsinger stoker kit and head /cam will be your best bet. Have a wicked 2.3.

07nhbpsi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Are you talking about the head or the block?

It isn't worth it to repair the cracks, would cost the same as reconditioned head. So you find a head for $200 from a junkyard, but you have no idea if it is cracked or if the valves are burnt? So why risk $200, when you can spend $450 for a brand new head?

Edit: Changed the title of this thread to describe my problem. Before I put all of this back together, I am trying to figure out if the marks on the #1 cylinder wall are an issue.
I would be concerned with the #1 cyl. Judging from those pictures that block needs machined! Anything short of that is a half assed repair.. Any machinist is gonna tell u, that u need to refinish that cylinder.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals