• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Relocating steering wheel cruise controls to aftermarket switches?

KasenLeigh90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Truck info: 1990 Ranger 2.3L w/ 5 speed
TL: DR- Move steering wheel cruise controls to aftermarket switch panel????
I am going to install an aftermarket NRG steering wheel in my truck. There's nothing wrong with the stock one, I'm just going in a different direction with my build rather than keep it stock (or close to stock, really, there's a decent amount of aftermarket equip that was already in it when I bought it). The wheel I'm looking at does come with two buttons on the wheel however I really don't want to try and mess with making those buttons be the cruise controls, but rather have them be utilized for other electronics or just the plain old standard horn. Would extending/ re-routing the cruise controls to an aftermarket switch panel work without being too difficult to set up? Are the stock switches/buttons just a standard momentary style switch control or is it over complicated to the point where it would be difficult to just extend the wires and plug and play into a custom panel? I'm going with a street/drag style build but not going overboard to the point where its no longer a viable or comfortable option for just daily/cruises, so I would really prefer NOT to lose cruise control, so relocating the controls would be amazing. I'm relatively new to the ranger scene, I'm much more familiar with GM, so any answers, insight, or suggestions are greatly appreciated. If there's no good way to relocate, so be it, but fingers are crossed.
PS: If I can't relocate I'm totally getting the Alcantara or the wood grain <3
TIA
NRG Dual Button Leather.png
NRG Hub.pngNRG Red Alcantara.pngNRG Wood-Chrome Wheel.png

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
iirc, the cruise buttons are all on one circuit, they just have different resistance values when pushed, which tells the pcm what it is you are wanting to do. So, you will either need those same switches mounted in some other enclosure, or you will need to replicate the resistance values with whatever you create.

KasenLeigh90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
iirc, the cruise buttons are all on one circuit, they just have different resistance values when pushed, which tells the pcm what it is you are wanting to do. So, you will either need those same switches mounted in some other enclosure, or you will need to replicate the resistance values with whatever you create.
Good to know! I’ll have to look into how difficult it is to remove the whole switch components safely but that is certainly doable. Appreciate it!

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've always used Grant GT's. But that one sure looks nice. I've wanted to put on in my Ranger and Lightning for years. But isn't removing the Airbag illegal? Or does no one care? No inspections in this state in any event.

KasenLeigh90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I've always used Grant GT's. But that one sure looks nice. I've wanted to put on in my Ranger and Lightning for years. But isn't removing the Airbag illegal? Or does no one care? No inspections in this state in any event.
Yeah where i’m at there are ZERO inspections what so ever. Not even if you get like an emissions ticket, unless you take it to court (which no one does at least in my smaller community. i drove my old 99 chevy v8 around with a basically open headers no cats system that was also cut off before the bed and angled down. don’t ask why i’m just a dumb millennial lmfao) an acquaintance of mine has a subwoofer as a steering wheel…. not even kidding.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Where I am, no emissions or testing. And yeah, my Ranger is a no muffler vehicle with a "bent Y" welded to the cat and two tips sticking out in front of the tire. Along with a loud CAI, it's a kind of noisy vehicle, that people accuse me of having a V-8 under the hood all the time. LOL!! Longer drives, I wear ear plugs. HAHA.

KasenLeigh90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Where I am, no emissions or testing. And yeah, my Ranger is a no muffler vehicle with a "bent Y" welded to the cat and two tips sticking out in front of the tire. Along with a loud CAI, it's a kind of noisy vehicle, that people accuse me of having a V-8 under the hood all the time. LOL!! Longer drives, I wear ear plugs. HAHA.
yeah in my rural area you’re more likely to get pulled over if you don’t have a loud vehicle it seems lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals