• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Reliability issue

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Gotcha beat Uncle Gump...I started pumping gas back in 1965 at a box store called Zares in Miami Fla. Had a separate gas and service building next to the store.
Head service guy taught me a lot, and a lot about how to treat a customer right.
Had VW's too, a 59 convertable, 66 and 68 sedan, and a 71 Giha. Still have a set of SK Wayne wrenches I got at a Rose Auto Store back then (like Auto Zone now).
Sometimes I wish I could go back to those times...much simpler and a lot more fun.
Grumpaw

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Wow, we had a Zare's way back in the day in Wilkes-Barre PA. No service station but nice "department" store. They were the first store in the area to open on Sundays, in the 70s.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Funny....

I never really had serious vehicle issues untill i started buying post EFI stuff.

Ive had tons of dentside fords, and other various older things, and besides a 77 monaco i had for a lil while it was all rock solid reliabilty wise.

Plus, atleast with the older trucks, it always seemed i could beat the dog shit out of them and they would just take it anf never complain.

New stuff is to fragile.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Must be a truck thing then? I just changed the oil in the wife's 08 Sienna. We bought it new and now a little over 277k. All I've had to do is change the oil every 4-5k (dino) and the plugs twice. I did replace the rear shocks and springs (front struts are original). Doubt you'd get that out of an old timey vehicle.

Don't get me wrong, I love the old stuff but they were not made to last. I believe they were made as good as possible at the time but they weren't made to last by today's standards.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Must be a truck thing then? I just changed the oil in the wife's 08 Sienna. We bought it new and now a little over 277k. All I've had to do is change the oil every 4-5k (dino) and the plugs twice. I did replace the rear shocks and springs (front struts are original). Doubt you'd get that out of an old timey vehicle.

Don't get me wrong, I love the old stuff but they were not made to last. I believe they were made as good as possible at the time but they weren't made to last by today's standards.
THIS ^^^^

The bad ol' days of HAVING TO adjusting engine systems are not missed by me, at all

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
THIS ^^^^

The bad ol' days of HAVING TO adjusting engine systems are not missed by me, at all
Trucks are where most my experence lies.

All im saying is i wouldnt load up a 2019 F150 with enough weight to set it on the bumpstops then proceed to drive it thru a rutted up field like i DID a few times in my old 77 F150.

I just feel the old stuff was much more resiliant to hard abuse.

Modern trucks just seem more suited to ripping your 5th wheel down the freeway at 70 mph then dragging shit thru hub deep mud and out thru a deep ditch.

I guess best way to put it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
In 1977 I doubt you would have done that either with your brand new truck, lol.

But point taken, I would agree that truck makers did over build models, while current models are built to spec to save as much money as possible

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
In 1977 I doubt you would have done that either with your brand new truck, lol.

But point taken, I would agree that truck makers did over build models, while current models are built to spec to save as much money as possible
I wouldnt do it with any truck newer the 86 or so lol.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
What 200k on the ranger and the transmission stopped transmitting...weird LOL. But I think by that time their automatic transmissions were slightly better than the A4LD in the 80's RBV's?

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
I was a Happy Days era kid, and I grew up with and owned vehicles from the early 60 up thru today. The cars/truck back then weren't really over built, but they were built with the materials and tech of the time. Sheet metal was thicker, glass was thicker, interior upholstery was heaver, ect. No govt. regulations as to fuel mileage, emissions, ect. Vehicles were just plain easier to work on...no wiring harnesses, sensors or computers to go wrong. When you had a problem it was fairly simple to find and fix. Almost everyone in our neighborhood could and did do repair and maintenance on there own vehicles. You could do a full tune up with some basic tools and a timing light.
Yeah, now vehicles are more reliable as their made with much closer tolerances than back then. Machining and production of parts and construction are light years ahead of those years.
Back then, even in a new vehicle, one would not take a long trip without the always carried cardboard box of spare parts, hoses, belts, distributor cap, points, rotor, and plugs.
Thing is though, if something did go wrong, you could usually fix it very easily.
Now, as reliable as vehicles are, if something goes wrong, it requires a tow and a diagnostic to find out what the problem is. Vehicles may be safer because of airbags, abs, ect. There fuel efficant compared to the old stuff. But there not as "rugged" as the older stuff. I get a good laugh when I see new truck commercials where their jumping a truck..just imagine what, in real life would happen if you jumped a new stock Ranger as portrayed in their commercial and the parts, not covered by warranty, you'd have to replace.
Good can be said for both the old and new, but damn, I wish I still had my 1971 Olds Delta 88 hardtop with it's 455 V-8, or my 1973 Ford F-250 that I hauled a camper with, or even a 1962 Chevy II with a 4 cylinder engine. I miss em all.
Grumpaw

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I like rugged.

Thats my thing i dislike so much.

If i nosedive my truck in a ditch i wanna be able to back it out or drive it thru and not worry about the ensueing 5000 dollar repair bill.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I like rugged.

Thats my thing i dislike so much.

If i nosedive my truck in a ditch i wanna be able to back it out or drive it thru and not worry about the ensueing 5000 dollar repair bill.
You got it Rusty.

Hit a pole or run a new Ranger into a ditch, and the cost to fix just the front fascia and grill costs more than I paid for my first new car, a 1964 Ford Falcon Sprint, $2200.00, bought brand new in 64.
Grumpaw

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Nice lil trip down memory lane there fellas :) I'd reply to every one but none would outdo what's already been said.
Far as the voting is, I'd still have to go with the old stuff, Chevy, Ford, and also Chrysler straight 6s for reliability and ease to maintain

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
Nice lil trip down memory lane there fellas :) I'd reply to every one but none would outdo what's already been said.
Far as the voting is, I'd still have to go with the old stuff, Chevy, Ford, and also Chrysler straight 6s for reliability and ease to maintain
One of the neatest, most reliable cars I ever owned was a 1966 Plymouth Valiant Hardtop with the 225 ci Slant 6. Bought it used when I was in the service, and traveled across the US with it, and it never failed.
Those slant 6 engines were unbeatable.
Grumpaw

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
One of the neatest, most reliable cars I ever owned was a 1966 Plymouth Valiant Hardtop with the 225 ci Slant 6. Bought it used when I was in the service, and traveled across the US with it, and it never failed.
Those slant 6 engines were unbeatable.
Grumpaw
I didnt have alot of time around the old 225 but i heard it was as reliable as the sun.

My favorite inliner by far is the 300. Just downright unbeatable in so many catagorys.

My buddy said one time, "After the apocalypse, youll hear a buzzing noise coming from under a pile of rubble as an old 80s f150 comes out from under it with the old 300"

I tend to believe it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals