• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Reintroduction

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hello again ladies and gents. It feels like an eternity since I have posted here. After the birth of my second child, I got kind of caught up in the dad/special needs parent life. My truck has more or less taken a back burner for a long time, but now that my daughter is almost ready to enter school and my son is getting the help he needs, the Ranger is making a comeback. After it's first iteration of the build(2wd overland style) I realized it's limitations. I have since lowered the rear end via an axle flip kit and I'm going to do 2" front lowering coils. I've also traded wheels with my dad's Ranger and converted to an 01 stepside. My daughter helped my apply some stickers and we went on a rainy day cruise. Feels good to be back in the truck game. Also, my mom recently purchased a 2017 JK Wrangler, and they are giving me $2k to buy a budget 4x4 to take my lady and kids out on the trails. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Preferrablely 4 doors, but 2 doors is workable, 4x4 and A/C a must. Thanks for having me back ladies and gents! -RollinWOT

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

AzLizard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 2.8
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome back.:beer:
What side of town you on?
Recently moved back into town off first ave.

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Welcome back.:beer:
What side of town you on?
Recently moved back into town off first ave.
Northside, near Orange Grove and La Canada, but I work on 1st. I thin I have seen your Explorer a couple times as a matter of fact.:beer:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Glad to have you back.

I don't think I have ever seen that approach to mounting a license plate before :icon_thumby:

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Glad to have you back.

I don't think I have ever seen that approach to mounting a license plate before :icon_thumby:
Lol, the rear bumper was damaged and I was able to salvage the bumper mount tabs and weld them to n extra hitch I had laying around. It was intended to be temporary, but it's held up. Perhaps I will find a better looking way to attach it some day...

HardRooster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Politics is the religion of convincing yourself that the worlds problems are someone elses fault.
If you want a budget wheeler, its tough to top a 1st gen solid axle 4Runner. (2 doors, but a back seat for the kids) Stock parts are all strong enough to handle 35" tires, you can do a lot of mods for cheap, parts are readily available and also cheap.

Maybe not a popular choice on a Ford forum, but that's my unbiased perspective.

As for an old Jeep, the good thing about Jeeps is that absolutely any part you could ever need is available in catalogs. The bad thing is, you're going to wear those catalogs out working on it. But having owned a Jeep, there's just something about them. Maybe it's the community thing, the Jeep wave or just the nostalgia, but for me, there's just something about a Jeep. It's emotional and irrational, but it's there.

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you want a budget wheeler, its tough to top a 1st gen solid axle 4Runner. (2 doors, but a back seat for the kids) Stock parts are all strong enough to handle 35" tires, you can do a lot of mods for cheap, parts are readily available and also cheap.

Maybe not a popular choice on a Ford forum, but that's my unbiased perspective.

As for an old Jeep, the good thing about Jeeps is that absolutely any part you could ever need is available in catalogs. The bad thing is, you're going to wear those catalogs out working on it. But having owned a Jeep, there's just something about them. Maybe it's the community thing, the Jeep wave or just the nostalgia, but for me, there's just something about a Jeep. It's emotional and irrational, but it's there.
Yes, I agree. I love those 1st gen 4Runners. I'd love to have an old YJ or something too. It's just hard to find either of those in my area that aren't completely clapped out or with an asking price South of 4500 lol

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I agree. I love those 1st gen 4Runners. I'd love to have an old YJ or something too. It's just hard to find either of those in my area that aren't completely clapped out or with an asking price South of 4500 lol
If I ever got a YJ it would be painted in the Jurrasic Park paint scheme...

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
If I ever got a YJ it would be painted in the Jurrasic Park paint scheme...
No joke we just had a YJ in in the Jurassic Park scheme, I wish I sould have taken a pic.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

HardRooster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Politics is the religion of convincing yourself that the worlds problems are someone elses fault.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals