• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Reinforcing D35 TTB Beams

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I have some questions about where to reinforce the beams on a D35 TTB. I have an extra set of beams and will have the front-end apart, again......soon. I figured while I have everything apart, I may as well make a set of beams "better".

I would be using my truck for trails, and a little fast track/road driving. Not quite prerunner material, but I may have some rough stuff to deal with.

I don't want to go ALL out....., just need to know what main places to reinforce, maybe what thickness of material that's suggested, and I may incorporate some "armor/skid" into the driver's side beam to protect the diff.

Thanks,
Ryan

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
1/4" plate around the lower 5 bolt holes on the front. could add some 1/4" underneath also.

1/8" plate, Box the back side of the passenger beam where it is open. Box the back side of the drive beam around the pivot, make sure you leave room for the axle shaft movement.

Cut the axle shaft window larger to clear the axle shaft for max travel. Plate with 1/8" around opening and along top and bottom.

lastly truss the front of the drive beam with a 1/8" wall tube or 1/8" plates.

This is more than enough for a set of stockish beams.

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
theres a guy in the fab section posting his re-enforcement of his TTB. Lots of pics of what and how he is doing it.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The most likely place you'd run into anything cracking is on the backside of the passenger beam right where the boxed area opens up (cracking right where the welds stop). Boxing in the rest of this area should prevent it from ever cracking.
Also, if you open up the window for the axle shaft real wide, some plates above and below the window wouldn't hurt (don't forget trimming the ends of the p-side radius arm bolts. The axleshaft can hit those too with enough flex).

IMO, the rest of the beam is pretty sturdy for general use. I don't see much need to reinforce it elsewhere unless you plan to be jumping the thing or running it real hard. However I would strongly recommend putting on a skidplate that covers the lower front & bottom of the diff (repeated bashing of the diff into rocks will slowly deform the beam over time, resulting in a slow leak around the bottom of the diff).

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks copycat and junkie. I appreciate the advice.

I'm gonna be rough on it, so I think some reinforcement would be good.

Ryan

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals