• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Regular tires :)

Wayne Ward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Nope
Not going to ask how to put larger tires on my 94. I'm currently running 31 x 10.5 BFGoodrich All Terrain T/As and would like to move to a more daily driver tire. Dont get me wrong, I like this size but I need something that can make long highway trips in snow as well as do a small amount of gravel/mud on hunting trips. Suggestions on size, brand and type? If this is like the Tundra page I frequent, peolpe roll their eyes at another tire question. Please point me to any threads that might help as well....Thank you

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I would just go for whatever is the stock tires size.

If it’s Cooper Discoverer is a great tire as far as mild AT tires go. Good manners on pavement, exceptional in the snow.

If you were going strictly pavement, I would say for a H/T tire with a softer trend compound.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
My guess is that the stock size is either going to be a 225/70R15 or 235/75R15. Was the truck regeared when the tires were swapped? That is going to dictate tire size some as well. If it is the stock gear, then whatever the door jam sticker says for best mpg. Ford Ranger speedometers tend to read about 2 mph fast, so you could go with a 30" tire for a more accurate speedometer reading (the speed inaccuracy is not linear across the speed indication) but there will be a bit of a mpg cost. Not as much as the 31's but there will be.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
31x10.50 (or metric equivalent) is the perfect ranger tire size IMO.

I currently have the Falken wildpeak AT LT's. I chose the LT's because I'm a load rating and sidewall abuser. They are beefy and bulletproof, but don't do anything all that great. Rides a little rough, pretty quiet though. I have not had them in snow, but they are decent on rainy roads, and also hardpacked dirt. Not the best in mud either (me its an A/T, not an M/T).

I would check out the Coopers lol. Also I've always been a fan of the ProComp tires from 4wheelparts. They are like cheaper BGF's, and actually a better tire if you ask me.

I tend to choose performance over longevity for tires. I don't get why anyone would want to be stuck with the same crappy tires for 70,000 miles. I'm such a tire snob.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
If you want a good street tire that does pretty much as well as an AT tire does in the snow, is quiet, smooth and long lasting; you should consider Michelin LTX M/S tires. They do come in 31x10.5-15. They are not cheap, but are about the same cost as BFG AT tires. They are not a great off-road tire, but do pretty well if you air down.

If you have some time, their is a very long discussion on Expedition Portal about them. The title of the thread is; Perfect off-road tire=LTX? What? The link is: https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/perfect-off-highway-tire-ltx-what.206567/

I don't agree with the OP on this and stated so in the thread. I do agree it is a perfect street tire, but is just an adequate off-road tire. I went through two sets of them as my street tires on my current Ranger. I put over 80K miles on the first set and about 75K miles on the second set. The second set still had decent tread on them but I got tired of switching back and forth with my off-road BFG MT 33x10.5-15 tires every time I wanted to go on an off-road adventure. I went back to running BFG AT 33x10.5-15 tires all the time instead of having two sets of tires.

Oh, I had a set of ProComp MT 32x11.5-15 tires. They were great off-road tires, but started going out of round well before they hit 35K miles. They were still good off-road tires but I did not like the vibration on pavement. They were replaced with BFG MT 33x10.5-15 tires. They have over 40K miles on them now and are still true. I estimate they have another 5K miles on them before the tread gets to the point they will not be good off- road tires anymore.

Last edited:

Wayne Ward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Nope
Thank you for your input. Went with the 31s in the backcountry had a lot of good luck with them on my Tundra. The ranger is a new rebuild and got her into the mountains. Did well and the tires were great. Will know more after this winter.
IMG_3518[1].JPG

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Imo a 31x10.5 IS a daily driver size tire.

If your dead-set on smaller though, a 30x9.5 would be good.

Wayne Ward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Nope
Imo a 31x10.5 IS a daily driver size tire.

If your dead-set on smaller though, a 30x9.5 would be good.
The 31 is the size I finally went with. Thank you

Toolsforyou

Reaction score
I would just go for whatever is the stock tires size.

If it’s Cooper Discoverer is a great tire as far as mild AT tires go. Good manners on pavement, exceptional in the snow.

If you were going strictly pavement, I would say for a H/T tire with a softer trend compound.
I agree with this.... plus Cooper Discoverer is a great brand...reliable as well

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
31x10.50 (or metric equivalent) is the perfect ranger tire size IMO.

I currently have the Falken wildpeak AT LT's. I chose the LT's because I'm a load rating and sidewall abuser. They are beefy and bulletproof, but don't do anything all that great. Rides a little rough, pretty quiet though. I have not had them in snow, but they are decent on rainy roads, and also hardpacked dirt. Not the best in mud either (me its an A/T, not an M/T).

I would check out the Coopers lol. Also I've always been a fan of the ProComp tires from 4wheelparts. They are like cheaper BGF's, and actually a better tire if you ask me.

I tend to choose performance over longevity for tires. I don't get why anyone would want to be stuck with the same crappy tires for 70,000 miles. I'm such a tire snob.
I got a set of Coopers in that size. An excellent choice.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
My buddy has a well known fab shop here, and it looks like he runs 35"-37" BFG project TA on a lot of the rigs, including his daily drivers.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
The 235 stock size is great around town and on the highway.

I know you got 31s but am just commenting. That's what is in my truck and it looks fine and drives fine, all across Texas, so lots of highway miles

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Cooper AT3's or Firestone Destination AT2's.
I got Coopers about two months ago for this truck so it's soon to say, but other people give them good reviews.
I had a couple sets of the Firestones on my old Sport Trac and liked them. Good all-around tire, quiet for a A/T and good in rain and snow.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals