• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Redesigned 2022 Toyota Tundra - Awesome?

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Anyone like the new tundra? There doesn’t seem to be too much excitement over it. It seems to be a bit less of a truck than it’s american counterparts, but I find it to be very interesting. Most folks seem to write about the upper trims of trucks, but I basically ignore anything that goes over $45k. That relegates me to the bottom trim. I also don’t really consider the 2 door trucks.

The base Tundra MSRP is <$40k for a crew cab 5.5’ bed, quad cab 6.5’ bed, and quad cab 8.1’ bed. Granted it’s not a V8, but that may be moot as the Americans may be closer to $45k with the V8 option… can’t quite remember.

The interior looks phenomenal. Untouched by the Americans… And keyless entry is standard. Seems to me to be the absolute best bang for the buck for interior niceness with 4 doors.

Last edited:

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
maybe interior niceness but not exterior niceness. it looks like they made the front removable so its easy to change the powertrain out.

and they have not had a great first roll out. tons of stories about turbo trouble and other things.

i will stay with my titan and my ranger, for now. or maybe swap the titan for a tundra before this version. probably swap for an f150 though.

the titan is badass though. i like everything but the slight shimmy it has driving at a certain speed. the drinks rock in the cupholder if you are driving at around 68-72. its rim or something related to that. i put new tires on it a few months ago and went to 34s, instead of 33s, and the shimmy moved from 62ish to where it is now so i know its related to the rims but everyone on the titan forum has tried so many things and no fixes yet.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
View attachment 71932

Meh. Why does everything have such ridculious sized grills?
I agree. It would fit better if it had a huge engine to somewhat justify it. The Ram has a slick looking front. The 2022 GMC 1500 looks pretty good

I would wait a bit to see how that engine does. I just found the creature comfort level of the Tundra per amazing for the price.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I haven’t been real crazy about a lot of the new styling put on trucks now. I haven’t found any of them to look all that great the last few years. It seems everyone is trying to out do everyone else in how over the top they can get.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The front end looks decent.

Never been a big fan of the newer Toyota trucks. Unfortunately, even in the base trim, you are always stuck with four doors, and too many standard features. Last time I looked at them I thought they only sold 4wd versions, but it looks like I was mistaken or they changed that.

Playing around on their website seems pretty completive with similar American trucks though.

Why does it seem like a lot of the new trucks have low profile tires. Dodge has been doing it for years, but it seems like now everyone else hopped on that boat.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I haven’t been real crazy about a lot of the new styling put on trucks now. I haven’t found any of them to look all that great the last few years. It seems everyone is trying to out do everyone else in how over the top they can get.
I agree. I think the new rams look the best. But that arrogant looking over the top "RAM" placed all over is just.....stupid.

I seen a very clean 94-01 Dodge the other day....i forgot how sharp those were when not all rusted and beat.

The 88-98 Chevys have grown on me to

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I’m not a fan of Dodge/Ram in general bit I do admit the trucks from that era did look nice. To bad they get the road salt rot like Fords do.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Never been a big fan of the newer Toyota trucks. Unfortunately, even in the base trim, you are always stuck with four doors, and too many standard features. Last time I looked at them I thought they only sold 4wd versions, but it looks like I was mistaken or they changed that.

Playing around on their website seems pretty completive with similar American trucks though.

Why does it seem like a lot of the new trucks have low profile tires. Dodge has been doing it for years, but it seems like now everyone else hopped on that boat.
Low profile tires are all the rage now, even in older vehicle over hauls. They are fine for the street I suppose. So, if street and maybe gravel roads is all one expects do do, low profile will work.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14

Too many standard features? It has the smart key thing and… what else? The main feature I want is telescopic steering wheel. I had a Ford truck that was horrendous. Seat all the way back and my legs were still a tad cramped, but I had to choose between my back touching the backrest or my hands touching the wheel. Just a terrible fitting truck for tall folks.

And low pro wheels are a negative feature when I’m shopping. In the past, I’ve gotten a wheel swap from the dealer. I get some reasonable sized wheels from someone else who opted for optional wheels, they get a set of upper trim wheels to sell.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Yuck. Squarebody all day. None of that ifs nonsense.
I said growing on me lol. The 73-88/91HD's are #2 in my book right behind the 73-79 fords.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Too many standard features? It has the smart key thing and… what else? The main feature I want is telescopic steering wheel. I had a Ford truck that was horrendous. Seat all the way back and my legs were still a tad cramped, but I had to choose between my back touching the backrest or my hands touching the wheel. Just a terrible fitting truck for tall folks.

And low pro wheels are a negative feature when I’m shopping. In the past, I’ve gotten a wheel swap from the dealer. I get some reasonable sized wheels from someone else who opted for optional wheels, they get a set of upper trim wheels to sell.

Seems like there is just a bunch of small stuff adding up.

-power windows, w/ one touch and jam detection
-front and rear map lights
-auto dimming rear veiw mirror
-grab handles
-powered rear window w/defroster
-overhead console
-Center console
-Tilt / telescoping steering wheel
-infotainment controls on the wheel
-remote start
-electric tailgate lock
-precolision detection
-active headrest, whatever that is
-auto start stop
-stainless steel exhaust

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Seems like there is just a bunch of small stuff adding up.

-power windows, w/ one touch and jam detection
-front and rear map lights
-auto dimming rear veiw mirror
-grab handles
-powered rear window w/defroster
-overhead console
-Center console
-Tilt / telescoping steering wheel
-infotainment controls on the wheel
-remote start
-electric tailgate lock
-precolision detection
-active headrest, whatever that is
-auto start stop
-stainless steel exhaust
Much of that I just consider part of the vehicle- handles, lights, power windows, maybe even precollision nowadays. Auto start stop is annoying but I’d be surprised if every truck doesn’t have that on one of their offerings.

I like the overhead and, specifically, the center console. That’s a premium trim thing typically.

Remote start is a bonus. I like the controls on the wheel. And of course the tilt/telescopic wheel is a must for me. I hate it when vehicles don’t have that.

Judging by that list, you really miss the days when A/C was an option. It sounds like the reason I got excited about this truck is hitting you exactly opposite… of course that’s one of the reasons I got an old ranger. But if I’m paying close to 40 grand for something, I sure don’t want a half ton sized ranger

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals