• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Reconnect speedometer in EV conversion?

97RangerEV

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all,

My dad and I are nearing the end of our EV conversion process, having taken a 1997 Ranger XL and installed 96 V of deep cycle lead-acid batteries, complete with a hinged bed and a Prestolite motor. I gave it a test drive today around the block and it runs great! Only one issue: we disconnected the Powertrain Control Module and General Electric Module when we removed the engine, and now we discovered that we may need one or both of them to hook the speedometer back up.

I've heard vague rumors from other forum posts (notably here http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/97-ranger-ev-conversion.231529/page-3) that you don't actually need the computers to make the speedometer work, only need to complete the VSS-speedometer circuit. Any idea if this is true and if so how to do it?

Much appreciated. This is the end of a very long and arduous (but satisfying) process of EV conversion -- kind of the blind leading the blind :) We want it to pass inspection!!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can't help, but I would sure be interested in pics and a journal if you kept one. This is the first electric conversion I've heard of on TRS.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

What kind drive train are you using?
Motor/trans/rear axle???

1994 and earlier Rangers used speedometer cable, 1995 and up Rangers had electronic speedometers using speed sensors

1995 to 1997 Rangers used a VSS on the output shaft of the transmission(or transfer case), so it used the same setup as speedometer cable, worm gear on output shaft and speedo gear to spin the VSS.
This was hooked up directly to the speedometer, VSS signal was shared with PCM and Cruise control.
The speedo gear could be changed to adjust for tire size and axle ratio same as when using a speedometer cable.

1998 to 2000 Rangers used the Anti-lock brake system VSS located on the rear axle.
But this VSS signal went to the ABS module, on 2WD it went to the GEM, where it was adjusted for tire size and axle ratio then passed on to the speedometer.

2001 and up went back to a trans or transfer case sensor but now called an OSS(output shaft sensor)
This signal went to PCM, where signal was calibrated for tire size and axle ratio and then sent out to speedometer and cruise.

There are three options:
1. Add a worn gear and VSS gear setup to output shaft of what ever you are using.

2. Install a 1998-2000 rear axle to get working VSS, and then use a Dakota Digital SGI-5E to convert it for tire size and axle ratio.

3. Use a Dakota Digital GPS-50-2, it is a GPS unit that has electronic speedometer output signal, it is adjustable for speed calibration.

There is a 4th option, a version of #2, the rear axle VSS reads a "tone wheel" inside the axle housing, a tone wheel is just a ring with teeth on it and the VSS sends out a pulse each time a tooth passes by it.
So you could make this type of setup and install it on the drive line, Look here: http://s414.photobucket.com/user/gury410/media/My Truck/IMG_1502.jpg.html
You would use Ford axle VSS and the SGI-5E to calibrate signal.

EDIT:
Thought of a 5th option, lol, I think 1997 Rangers had 4 wheel ABS as an option, so front wheels would each have a tone ring and sensor, you should be able to add that to yours to use the sensor for VSS and the SGI-5E

And YES INDEED would love to see pictures of this project

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals