• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recommend a double din radio & speakers??

Cowboy Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Im not looking for anything more than a modern stereo equipment and backup camera upgrade for my 01’ regular cab. I understand there will be some hacking required to get a double din to fit. Can someone recommend brand / model # to get me headed in the best direction?

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 7FA902352B4C01: April 5th, 2021

gaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Cowboy,

For a head unit, you can't go wrong with Alpine but Kenwood has always held up well too.

If your not set on a full time screen, consider a pop out screen unit. I am not up on the current model numbers but neither of those companies have failed on me yet.

If you really want it to last, don't use the amplifier built in the head unit; use a separate amp for sound.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I can understand (and encourage) using a separate amplifier for improved sound quality... But using 'if you really want it to last' as justification is ever so slightly ridiculous.

rubydist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am looking for the same thing at the moment.

The pop out screens don't work on the Ranger because they interfere with the center air ducts, so I would rule those out.

I am looking for wireless Android Auto and SiriusXM, the best seems to be Kenwood but the prices have gone up and the inventory is very limited. Apparently the computer chip issue is affecting aftermarket stereos as well as new vehicles.