• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rebuilt no start

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Have verified distributor timing, injectors are lighting, fuel pressure 35 psi cranking holds key off, when cranking seems to be sputtering putting will not run. Any suggestions? Anyone need more info... In the garage now..

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Was it running before?
What has changed since it was running?

50/50. Starting fluid.
Make sure it's getting fuel.
Then spark.
What do you mean "verified distributor timing"?
If it's sputtering, trying to fire, check the timing...again.

Others more knowledgeable than I will be sure to come along in a bit. Hang in there.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Ran when I bought it had a knock. Short block .020 over, new later model heads, new injectors, plugs wires, coil, distributor, harness, you name it it's new pretty much. And I rotated to #1 TDC pulled cap rotor sitting pointing directly at #1 cylinder timing mark on balancer dead on 0 TDC mark.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Cam timing set correctly?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Distributor rotor is pointed at #1 when crank balancer is pointed at TDC, and rotor is ALSO pointed at #5 when crank is at TDC

Crank shaft rotates 2 times for each one rotation of Cam shaft
That's the 4-strokes of a piston in 4 stroke engine

So do the 50/50 test, that will tell you if spark is working and timed correctly
If engine doesn't start then put crank on TDC mark again
Check rotor position
If its at #1 then lift distributor up and rotate rotor to #5 and lower it back down, 180deg rotation
If its pointed at #5 then lift and rotate to #1

Then try 50/50 test again

OR

Get a compression gauge and put it in #1 spark plug hole
Rotate engine until gauge starts to show pressure
Stop rotating at the next TDC
Check rotor
Should be pointed at #1, if its pointed at #5 then lift distributor and rotate so rotor is pointed at #1

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
You could be a tooth off on the distributer. Try turning the distributer a bit in each direction.

I'm assuming you have a healthy blue spark?

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
All good spark, tried moving distributor housing through full range of motion while cranking as well no significant change. Jumped wires in each direction as well, and cam timing marks appeared correct per my book and posted on here to verify. @RonD same puttering with starting fluid no real fire.. So I did crank until 1 showed compression as well and verified rotor pointing at # 1 cylinder. You are saying to put balancer mark on TDC and rotate rotor to point at #5 and try that? Is that correct?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
If you are at TDC of compression on number one cylinder... the rotor should point to number one cylinder on the distributer cap. Turning the distributer so the rotor is pointing at number five cylinder on the cap would make it 180 degrees out.

Have you pulled a plug to see if it's wet with fuel? As much as you've probably cranked it... it could very well be flooded. If wet... try holding throttle wide open to clear the flood.

I would also screw in a compression tester and see what you get. If cam timing is off... this will probably tell you the story.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
4 stroke engines have 2 TDCs for #1, and the other 5 cylinders as well, all have a compression stroke TDC, and an exhaust stroke TDC

A V6 engine's crank is balanced so 2 cylinders are at TDC at the same time, these are called Match Pairs
Matched pairs on the 2.9l, and MOST V6s are
1/5
2/6
3/4

This also explains the firing order
1 4 2 5 3 6
When you split the firing order and put one half below the other you get the matched pairs on ANY engine, 4cyl, I6, V6, V8, V10, ect.....
1 4 2
5 3 6

1/5, 4/3, 2/6

The Cam and Valve timing sets #1 compression stroke and #1 exhaust stroke, and #5 would be the exact opposite as #1's Matched Pair

So if cranks timing mark is on TDC and distributor rotor is pointed at #1 spark plug wire, then you have a 50/50 chance of rotor being in correct position without any other tests
If its a No Start then setting rotor 180deg off, so pointed at #5 then it will either start or its not a distributor timing issue

Obviously testing #1 for compression stroke takes the guessing off the table which is always best, if you can, lol

But unless the crank's TDC mark is off you only have 2 positions to test for the rotor, #1 and #5

Last edited:

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
So do you ever do something and just feel completely stupid? I do, not extremely often but it has happened. Well, I went ahead per @RonD comment and jumped the distributor to #5 hit the key and pop pop right out the intake (most definitely now, 180 out). So I opened the fridge grabbed a Corona and went to start shutting the lights off puzzled and go in. At that time I was like you dumb ass. I originally put the distributor in timed it etc with the engine on the stand. Just pointed the rotor right at the cylinder, which is 2 posts off from the actual contact location for that cylinder. I grabbed tools yanked the distributor back out and moved it back to #1 on the cap. Hit the key and it sounded like a 1988 2.9 starting up for the first time in 1988... Perfect. Good oil and fuel pressure and smooth as can be. Thanks all for the good suggestions glad I was just an idiot.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
So do you ever do something and just feel completely stupid? I do, not extremely often but it has happened. Well, I went ahead per @RonD comment and jumped the distributor to #5 hit the key and pop pop right out the intake (most definitely now, 180 out). So I opened the fridge grabbed a Corona and went to start shutting the lights off puzzled and go in. At that time I was like you dumb ass. I originally put the distributor in timed it etc with the engine on the stand. Just pointed the rotor right at the cylinder, which is 2 posts off from the actual contact location for that cylinder. I grabbed tools yanked the distributor back out and moved it back to #1 on the cap. Hit the key and it sounded like a 1988 2.9 starting up for the first time in 1988... Perfect. Good oil and fuel pressure and smooth as can be. Thanks all for the good suggestions glad I was just an idiot.

On my best days....I just ain't worth a fawk....

At least your on ☝👉

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You got a fridge in your truck? Coool. 😊

Glad you got it running.

-Jazzer

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals