• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rebuilding a wrecked 2019

AustinAubinoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi,

My dad and I bought a wrecked 2019 extended cab 4x4 truck with 9000 miles on it for 13k. We are hoping to have it repaired for under $10k. One great thing about these new rangers is that ford sells all the frame parts, its very modular.

The drive side airbag went off so I ordered a new one. The driver side seat belt tensioner is also broken. As far as I know, there is an explosive seat belt tensioner that is one time use, so the whole seat belt assembly has to be replaced. Any thoughts on that? Also, would there be any other sensors that need to be replaced if not physically damaged? I see in the diagrams there are two air bag sensors on the back of the rad support.

Finally, on the front driver side of the radiator support there was a sensor bolted to it. I assumed it was some type of air temp sensor, but can not find one on ford parts. Any ideas on this?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yes the seat belt tensioner is one time use and needs to be replaced.

I cannot confirm this having never worked on one of the new rangers. But you may need to replace the actual airbag module as well. Sometimes they simply cannot be reset and reused once the airbags have deployed.

AustinAubinoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That last picture is whats left of the sensor!

Have already bought;
-Mishimoto radiator
-Monetune intercooler
-Super tone horns

(all trash, might as well upgrade!)

Today I am ordering
-Jack (missing)
-condenser
-driver airbag
-driver seatbelt and tensioner assembly
-Hood
-Both hood hinges
-Driver headlight (FYI the LED headlight is over $1300, the regular one is like $350!)
-Driver fender
- radiator support
-Driver side frame rail kit
-front fender molding
-upper fan shroud
-Inner fender well and inner vertical fender (I dont think the sell the whole assembly, and the back half looks ok, as does the battery mount)

From stage 3 motorsports:

Raptor grill with lights
daystar 2" front lift
BDS blocker arms

Still decided on front bumper. I really want this one, but it doesn't seem to exist.

Might go with this one, but the ford one is so slick looking.

Anyways thought some would be interested!
-Austin

AustinAubinoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yes the seat belt tensioner is one time use and needs to be replaced.

I cannot confirm this having never worked on one of the new rangers. But you may need to replace the actual airbag module as well. Sometimes they simply cannot be reset and reused once the airbags have deployed.
Hi Thank you! That's what I thought. I also think I should replace this in our 2012 F250, because it has gotten so sloppy with retracting.

Do you think it would be alright to pop in the new airbag and see if it throws codes? Honestly have no clue about the airbag stuff. But only the steering wheel bag deployed.

We still have 2 old rangers. Are 2009 4.0L 4x4 is the best. I absolutely could not find one in good shape or reasonable cost. We paid $12k for the 2009 with 65k miles on it maybe 5 years ago. Honestly very impressed with the 2019. seems easy to fix and well put together.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
Good luck finding OEM Ford parts. It's my understanding that there a lot of wrecked 2019 / 2020 Rangers sitting waiting on parts.

Let us know how that goes... and good luck with the rebuild!

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The airbag module needs to be replaced once the bags deploy. The part for the seat belt is called a pretensioner. Make 100% sure that all the wiring is good and no sensors are shorted before you connect the battery the first time, airbags are loud as well as expensive.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I think your mystery sensor is the ambient air temp sensor. Your picture shows approx the correct location for that.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As Walt said, the airbag module will have a fault code in it, and it needs replaced or reset in order to clear that. All the seat belts that were buckled at the time of the crash will have the pre-tensioner blown, so you may need to replace more than just the driver's belt. There are places you can send the module to have it reset rather than buying a new one.

What I do not know is if the crash sensors are a one-time use and need replaced, or if you can use them again as they currently are. They seem to have used both types over the years. Can anyone confirm that for the 19 Ranger?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Oh and don't forget the fuel pump inertia switch. Assuming they haven't replaced that with an unnecessarily complicated computer system in 2019?

Inertia switches are only good once, they can be reset to get the vehicle started again but once tripped they don't function properly anymore.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Oh and don't forget the fuel pump inertia switch. Assuming they haven't replaced that with an unnecessarily complicated computer system in 2019?

Inertia switches are only good once, they can be reset to get the vehicle started again but once tripped they don't function properly anymore.
Good point. I need to find out if there is one and where it is.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They used to have that in the manual.

AustinAubinoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi All great info here!

1) only driver was in the car, the other belt works fine. Also no rear seat.

2) I thought ambient air temp as well, but it sure doesnt look right. This is the sensor listed:

3) truck runs fine, was driven off trailer. But never ran very long because no coolant. But will see what happens.

4) There seems to be 4 sensors for air bags. Would just the one in front of the driver be bad? As that sensor would tell that bag to blow? Obviously I know your just guessing here.
I think this is the module. $600, guess its cheaper to send it out? https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/air-bag-module-12254695-1#sectionId:95018969

5) and yes a lot of parts say backordered online. This really sucks. I hope the core parts come in, so we can at least put it back together. I have the new radiator and intercooler, so I could take it home before paint.

Decided today to order this bumper. Its going to be bad ass. Plus might as well protect our investment!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Daytime running lights have a sensor in that location on older trucks.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Hi All great info here!

1) only driver was in the car, the other belt works fine. Also no rear seat.

2) I thought ambient air temp as well, but it sure doesnt look right. This is the sensor listed:

3) truck runs fine, was driven off trailer. But never ran very long because no coolant. But will see what happens.

4) There seems to be 4 sensors for air bags. Would just the one in front of the driver be bad? As that sensor would tell that bag to blow? Obviously I know your just guessing here.
I think this is the module. $600, guess its cheaper to send it out? https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/air-bag-module-12254695-1#sectionId:95018969

5) and yes a lot of parts say backordered online. This really sucks. I hope the core parts come in, so we can at least put it back together. I have the new radiator and intercooler, so I could take it home before paint.

Decided today to order this bumper. Its going to be bad ass. Plus might as well protect our investment!
I hope you enjoy leaning over that bumper to work on the truck more than my techs used to, maybe buy a top side creeper to go with it. Or negotiate a reduced price with your chiropractor. I've never heard of "resetting" an airbag module, there's an internal fuse that burns out when it deploys.

AustinAubinoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I hope you enjoy leaning over that bumper to work on the truck more than my techs used to, maybe buy a top side creeper to go with it. Or negotiate a reduced price with your chiropractor. I've never heard of "resetting" an airbag module, there's an internal fuse that burns out when it deploys.
I am used to working on super dutys, so this is no problem! Thanks for mentioning the fuse, you never know. I took all these notes down to ask the parts guy about. He is pretty good, and also has an older ranger.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals