• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rebuilding a Power Rack and Pinion

Henry68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a new rack and pinion seal kit ready to install but my 1999 factory manual does not provide any information like torque specs, pinion preload settings or even a simple schematic.

Does anyone have any schematics or specifications to rebuild a 1999 or similar ford power rack?

Thanks, Henry
1999 Ranger 2wd Reg Cab

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I have the factory ford shop manual. It tells you how to replace it, not rebuild it. Dunno what manual would have that info. :dunno:

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Pinions are a beeotch… You will need an old I-beam style torque wrench just to figure out the preload on the pinion nut before you remove it. Make sure you mark the pinion nut with a good paint marker. I used a permanent marker and it didn't leave a good mark so I was screwed.

I-beam procedure can be googled. I don't remember the exact procedure so I don't want to give the wrong info. That pinion backlash is VERY important so don't take it for granted or you'll be buying a new rear end or guts again shortly.....

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.
Pinions are a beeotch… You will need an old I-beam style torque wrench just to figure out the preload on the pinion nut before you remove it. Make sure you mark the pinion nut with a good paint marker. I used a permanent marker and it didn't leave a good mark so I was screwed.

I-beam procedure can be googled. I don't remember the exact procedure so I don't want to give the wrong info. That pinion backlash is VERY important so don't take it for granted or you'll be buying a new rear end or guts again shortly.....
Rack and pinion steering, not rear axle.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I think most rack and pinions have been remove and replace for many years.

I did one way back in the 80's I believe... it had seals deep in the rack housing and required special seal drivers. It's the only one I ever did... remove and replace ever since.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
We had to rebuild racks until well into the 80's. I hated doing them. The aluminum housings that Ford created to replace the earlier TRW racks put the end to overhauling them. Fairmonts and Mustangs would come in complaining that the power steering was stiff turning one way when cold and we'd know the nylon seals had cut a groove in the housing. Once it needed a housing a rebuild cost more than a new rack.

Henry68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have the factory ford shop manual. It tells you how to replace it, not rebuild it. Dunno what manual would have that info. :dunno:
Thanks for checking, my shop manual says the same. There has to be some info out there? I think the 98-01 Explorers used a similar rack and I may cross reference those manuals to see if any info turns up.

Henry68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
We had to rebuild racks until well into the 80's. I hated doing them. The aluminum housings that Ford created to replace the earlier TRW racks put the end to overhauling them. Fairmonts and Mustangs would come in complaining that the power steering was stiff turning one way when cold and we'd know the nylon seals had cut a groove in the housing. Once it needed a housing a rebuild cost more than a new rack.
It sounds like the internal aluminum housing needs to be in really good condition, without any visible damage before even attempting an at-home rebuild and if you accidentally scratch anything while installing the replacement seals (easy to do), you may not know it until you put the vehicle back on the road.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
You need a special tool to size the nylon rings, too. They come big enough to slide over the pinion and the tool slides over them and crushes them down to the proper diameter. I suspect if you tear it down for an overhaul you'll end up buying a reman and you'll be out the price of the repair parts you bought.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Not to mention they probably wont accept the old unit as a core if it's in peices so you'll have to eat that charge too...

I say return the rebuild kit... As much as I am pro do it yourself, sometimes things just aint worth trying to fix.

Henry68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You need a special tool to size the nylon rings, too. They come big enough to slide over the pinion and the tool slides over them and crushes them down to the proper diameter. I suspect if you tear it down for an overhaul you'll end up buying a reman and you'll be out the price of the repair parts you bought.
Not to mention they probably wont accept the old unit as a core if it's in peices so you'll have to eat that charge too...

I say return the rebuild kit... As much as I am pro do it yourself, sometimes things just aint worth trying to fix.
I'm going to tear into it next week just for the hell of it so wish me some luck, guys. If you find a source for a schematic, send it on. I'll post an update.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals