• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rebuild or Replace

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Coming in second just makes you the first loser!
So, I've been threw quite a few threads looking for info. I think I have the answer but I would like some opinions. My 07 has 265k on it and it needs the timing chains done (started rattling recently). I've looked at remanufactured engines as well as rebuild kits. It's expensive either way and the engine needs to come out regardless. My truck is in good shape body wise and I put a used tranny in it with 54k about six months ago. My mechanic said it would cost about $3,500-$4,000 to rebuild it (includes pulling engine) and he would warranty it for three months. A decent kit runs about $900. I looked at putting in a used engine but there is no guarantee and I would still need to do the timing chains. They are not much cheaper than a rebuilt either so a used engine is out of the question! If I rebuilt it I could put some custom heads and cams on it. I could also look for a short block and then put the heads and cams on it too. Obviously it bumps up the cost but not that much. A remanufactured long block runs about $3,000 and $1,800 for a short block. What I'd like y'alls opinion on is this, should I put in a remanufactured engine or rebuild the one in there. Thanks!

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
You really should get the availability of a reman engine. I just tried to buy a reman OHV long block 4.0 and no one had one but jasper and it was $4,000. Everyone I called would have to rebuild my core and that was over 2 months out two places told me. If your guy can rebuild what you have, I would do that rather than a reman engine from somewhere else. Maybe a SOHC 4.0 are more available since they are pretty new still and were used in what mustangs? Probably a lot more better availability of them. But I would check because the guy told me I could have an engine in a few days and it really sucked having to go with plan c when my spare engine was bad. lol

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The cost to R&R the engine is the same regardless, so don't include it in decision

2007 with 265k is 16,500 miles a year

The lower end on most engines now-a-days is 400k+
i.e. pistons/rings and bearings

400k - 265k = 135k / 16.5k = 8+ years left, assuming you still do 16.5k per year

So just the cassettes and tensioners would get you all you need for 8+ years
Then you could look at the full rebuild
In my opinion

I would do a compression test before pulling the engine
Valves are another story, they can burn at any time, lol, but if they have gone 265k then another 135k should be doable :)
If you have lower cylinders then yes, might consider a full rebuild and valve job at that time

Last edited:

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
I was going to go with keeping my stock bottom end (as long as I have good compression still) and put the Stage 3 heads on it.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Got a link to these heads and cams?

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My opinion, if you can rebuild it yourself then do so! At least you know what you have (and who to blame, ha).

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I would keep the engine you have.

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
I can't rebuild it myself. I probably could do it if I had the garage to do it but I don't. My mechanic is saying he has done the timing chains but just pulling the tranny and not the engine. He would need to drop the front end to clean out the oil pan. I may just go that route. My 03 V8 is almost done and I'm gonna sell this one so...

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Can the timing chains be done without pulling the engine? He said he's done it before but that was on an Explorer.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Can the timing chains be done without pulling the engine? He said he's done it before but that was on an Explorer.
I don’t think there is enough room and if there is, it will be more miserable than pulling the engine.

Fordtekmakuloco has a 3 or 4 part video series on doing the job on youtube. It would be worth your time to go watch them. It will give you a very good idea on what is all entailed in doing the job.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Thanks for sharing...

I've never really looked for hot rod 4.0L SOHC stuff before. I feel at 200 horse from a good running stocker... I'm pretty satisfied with performance.

Of course I like power... but at what price?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, if you have access to the rear of the 4.0l SOHC engine you can change the rear timing chain
So you can remove the transmission and do it with engine in the vehicle

Last edited:

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I did the cam timing chain system rebuild at around 250 K miles. It was not rattling but I had a suspicion it was time to go in for a look. The cassettes were still in good condition but were getting brittle. It was time to replace them. What I did find broken was the mechanical chain tensioner for the main chain drive that runs off of the crank to the jackshaft. It was totally broken off. I was amazed that it could still run well with the chain as loose as it was.

I think it would be possible to do the cam timing chain rebuild in place with just pulling the transmission, but I think it would be a lot more trouble than with pulling the engine. There is considerable work in pulling the engine, but having the engine on an engine stand makes working on it so much easier. There is a lot of finicky work when doing the cam timing chain system rebuild.

I did pull the transmission to because I wanted to do some work on it. I think that makes pulling the engine easier, but I don't know how difficult it would be to pull the engine without removing the transmission first.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I did a 283 with a hydra-glide transmission on it once, using a tripod I made with maybe 12 ft by 6 or 8 inch tree trunks maybe 75 ft from where I'm now sitting.
It came right out.
Hooked a come-along to the engine and as it came up it also tilted almost straight down.
Pulled the 64 Impala back, dropped the engine to the ground, swapped the 283 for a 230 or a 235(I'm not positive now which it was), picked it back up, pushed the car back under it and dropped it right back in.
Pushed the tripod over and had it done

I had a neighbor came by, old man just loved to laugh at me, saw what I was doing and just laughed. Stopped back 2 days later and laughed some more. "it didn't work did it?" I just pointed at the new engine :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals