• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L ('98-'01) Rebuild for power and life

Kiyp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
My little ranger is getting uo there in miles and when she gives out on me im tempeted to just do an engine rebuild, i know these lima engines can actually push out quite a bit of power when you build them right as they have been a popular choice for rallies and such, i just want to give it a little more power, the main thing i was curious about is giving her a bit more life than just 300k miles, it seems like the main things to fail are just cheap parts, like the pistons which are made really cheaply, so if you were to replace the handful of components that fail first with higher quality ones like forged pistons would you think the ranger could actually push out more power and get a longer life out of the engine?

Also i dont want to hear i should just get a 4.0 if i want power, the lima engine can push out a lot of power if you build it correctly, and i dont want to hear i should just get a new one, its more cost efficient to just rebuild the engine and get another 21+ years out of it than to buy a used ranger for a little less money with high mileage and get 5+ years out of it

WarHawk-AVG

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Semper Fi
How much work goes into doing a 4.0L engine swap from the 2.5L?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals