• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear window slider

vigness

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
How the !*^#$ do you get just the center slider out of the rear window?

My current truck has a piece of plexi in it for a slider. Don't ask, I'm not telling.

But I have access to another truck that's being parted out, and I can have the slider if I want it, I have to stick my plexi in it's place to keep the cab relatively weather tight until the rest of the interior is gone.

I pulled the plastic slide out figuring that would give me enough room to lift and tilt. It is thissssssss close to coming out, but not quite. And I'm not quite prepared to slip my flat bar in and do some prying on bare glass.

Can somebody give me a hint????

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
No idea, the slider my '97 came with was broken when I got it so I replaced it with a solid window since it's what I found... that said I don't think it's designed to be replaced, pretty sure the plastic frame is glued together with that pane installed...

Other than the stupid plastic christmas tree trim clips changing the whole back window isn't a huge deal really, I pulled a slider out of a 4 door Ranger for mine a couple months ago and you just need to get most of the trim loose enough to get your fingers and a 3/8" or 9mm (don't remember which, I can check later...) wrench to the 8 nuts, push the window out carefully (if you leave a couple top nuts on it's safer...) then get some "Butyl rope" seal for the replacement (I found it on the shelf at Autozone, under $20) then reassemble. You could easily enough just put your old window taped up in place of theirs held on by just the top studs...

For the record all extended cab rear windows and all rear windows '98-11 are the same (IE regular cabs starting in '98 use the extended cab window), I know first and second gen regular cab rear windows are interchangeable (the seals changed a bunch over the years on sliders though...), not sure on '94-97 regular cab windows...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
There's several types in the earlier designs.

The single flat slides over after you pull the stop...the small single slide is easier to pull the window away from the cab like mentioned.

My double has upper and lower spacers....I always lose them just reaching back and not looking...and they flop out.

vigness

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm trying really hard not to swap the whole window. Both trucks have a topper real close to the back of the cab. PITA x2.

May be time for glasses, gloves, and an old thing putty knife.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals