• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear turn signals not working

Tamsar20

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Hey y'all first post, picked up a 94 ranger and trying to get it street legal. Just replaced the broken fuel filler tube and now the rear turn signals don't work, not sure if its related. The bulbs were kinda black but after replacing them they still don't fully work. They light up as running lights but not as turn signals. Any insight would be appreciated, tried searching for a solution but nothing came up for my specific problem. Thanks in advance!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

In 1994 the turn signals are separate bulbs, in the yellow part of the tail light housing
The red part has a dual filament bulb, park(running) light and brake light
white part is backup light

1993 to 1997 used these tail light housings: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/JpwAAOSwS9BdD4uh/s-l300.jpg

I assume the front turns work and the dash light turn bulb works??

Try the 4-way flashers and see if rear works, they share the same wires, just use a different fuse and flasher unit

One common issue with rear lights in older trucks, is the DIY trailer light wiring that may have occurred over the years, lol
These poor rear wires get tapped and spliced until they are barely holding together

If the bulb in the yellow part lights up when park(running) light is on then I would for sure have a good look at the "trailer light" wiring, some one goofed up

Here is the wiring diagram so you can check colors of wires and what each is for

Back up lights use a Black/pink stripe wire, just FYI, its usually not on any diagrams

And although its rare, the turn signal stalk(aka multi-function switch) has two separate wires for each turn side, front and dash then separate wire for rear turns, you will see it on the diagram
So it is "possible" for just the rear to not work if somethings happened inside the switch, long shot but not a no shot

Attachments

Last edited:

Tamsar20

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the thorough reply Ron, was very helpful!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals