• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear sway bar

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
In general a 4x4 is 2" taller than a 4x2, the 4x4's have a 2" block in the back and the axle is about 2" thicker on the front axle (or enough to make it even out, whatever...). The taller suspension on STX stopped around '90, after that it was just a trim package...

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
OK Scott thanks. It sounds like, then, for '97, for 4x4, XLT and STX are probably... the same height. Not sure if "handling package" changes the height.
I guess what I was saying was if you got a 4.0L XLT 4x4 (that year) and got buckets and fogs and the handling package, I *think* that would be the same as an STX with deleted decals.
Not totally same because badging would be different but otherwise they seem identical.
As you say it's an option package very similar to the XLT's better option package with a few things added, that you could have optioned on an XLT.
The option packages are consecutively numbered, which doesn't necessarily mean anything, but if you look at what's in them they are basically the same with the except for the things I mentioned which weren't exclusive to STX.
Good to hear about the history on your truck that's awesome.

Last edited:

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
In my opinion, a rear sway bar (anti-sway) on a Ranger is only good when the rear is loaded with something top heavy. Rangers are already tail happy, meaning they tend to break loose in the rear when cornering. A rear stabilizer tends to make this worse.

I know many people think stabilizer bars make vehicles corner better. It may make them feel better in corners when diving at moderate speeds, but it requires a good balance of stabilizer bars and springs to get good handling at the limit.

Front stabilizer bars are good on Rangers with near stock suspension on pavement. Off-road they are not so good due to limiting articulation and ride stiffness. Of course that depends on the type off-road you are on. Rear stabilizer bars are typically not good on or off-road.

I know my 89 STX had a rear stabilizer bar and it worked well. Ford must have had a reason for it and it must have been not very stiff. It also had a fairly heavy shell on it.

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
So, I was asking, about the front bar, what's the quick-disconnect/reconnect method; or if it's not quick, then what's the drill when you are going off road, you get there, you want the maybe 25% extra travel.... what/how am I disconnecting/reconnecting it? Maybe in tech lib somewhere?

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
So, I was asking, about the front bar, what's the quick-disconnect/reconnect method; or if it's not quick, then what's the drill when you are going off road, you get there, you want the maybe 25% extra travel.... what/how am I disconnecting/reconnecting it? Maybe in tech lib somewhere?
Your removing a/the swaybar endlink/s.

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
ok so that sounds like two nuts/bolts/washers each side right? I guess if you do it a bunch of times it wouldn't take long. Might want to make sure stuff comes apart in driveway first.
I assume sway bar then is held in place by its rubber bushings and doesn't flop down onto the steering?
Does anyone ever put a pin the size of the bolt through there so you can do it quick?
Guess Ford didn't figure on people doing this a lot or they woulda put a dash switch for it huh.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I think there are aftermarket kits for quick disconnects. I designed my own because I had a German machinist that worked for me. They work fairly well and I like the design better than using a pin, but it has room for improvements.

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
nice. perhaps pics sometime? And your comments as to how you would improve it?

Some here....
Sway Bar Link - Disconnect for Ford Ranger | 4 Wheel Parts

A lot of these look like standard off the shelf stuff. I'd think the main thing is, you want the links/bar held just as securely when you are on-road as they are with the bolts.

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
leave 1 side connected to keep the bar from flopping around too much

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The one time I did it, I disconnected both sides and tied the bar up out of the way.
Decided I didn’t like that and didn’t figure out a quick and easy way that I liked. So I finally took the whole mess off and never looked back. But, my truck is primarily a trail rig and I’m very careful on the road.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I added one to mine and absolutely love it.

Just add heavier springs... well mine are out of an Explorer. :dntknw:

Initially I caught myself going into turns with the cruise on that felt uncomfortable enough pre rear swaybar I would kick the cruise off before. Now... it handles almost like a modern vehicle. Ride was unchanged.

For offroading I disconnect the front because it is easy and let the rear do its thing. The rear has so much travel compared to the front on my truck it hasn't been a big deal. My rear one is the thinest version which is 5/8", 93-11 ran them IIRC.

My truck has the older TTB front axle and is less refined overall but it was a night and day improvement for me. I heard all the comments that they are not really needed and whatnot and I had written it off until I snagged a slide in camper... I wish I would have done it decades before. For long distance high speed driving in foreign lands I am not familiar with... improving handling is a welcome modification.

Last edited:

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
I'm a little confused, you added the sway bar in back but other people are taking them off, it seems. Is this because of the model, it didn't have one to begin with? You are leaving it on for off-road?
I do have the rear sway it either came w/ the model or was part of the handling package. For min (97) what I understand is I probably am ok to just take it off and it will drive 'ok' on the street and better off-road.
Once I get this truck sorted the first thing I am going to do is real mild off road since I am not at all experienced in it then later I can try the mods whether temp or permanent.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
nice. perhaps pics sometime? And your comments as to how you would improve it?

Some here....
Sway Bar Link - Disconnect for Ford Ranger | 4 Wheel Parts

A lot of these look like standard off the shelf stuff. I'd think the main thing is, you want the links/bar held just as securely when you are on-road as they are with the bolts.
I don't have any photos, but I can take a picture or two. You won't be able to tell much from the picture, but if I do both connected and disconnected you might be able to tell more.

The thing I don't like about the pin type disconnects is you have to be on level ground or have someone move the vehicle up and down to get the holes to line up to be able to insert the pin. My design has some tolerance to it and will pull things in place.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm a little confused, you added the sway bar in back but other people are taking them off, it seems. Is this because of the model, it didn't have one to begin with? You are leaving it on for off-road?
I do have the rear sway it either came w/ the model or was part of the handling package. For min (97) what I understand is I probably am ok to just take it off and it will drive 'ok' on the street and better off-road.
Once I get this truck sorted the first thing I am going to do is real mild off road since I am not at all experienced in it then later I can try the mods whether temp or permanent.
Never had one originally, they were optional.

For what I do it offroads fine with it on. It will out flex my wife's new Bronco by a very wide margin even with both sway bars hooked up.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Never had one originally, they were optional.

For what I do it offroads fine with it on. It will out flex my wife's new Bronco by a very wide margin even with both sway bars hooked up.
It should be noted that @85_Ranger4x4 sometimes has a large slide-in pop-up camper in the back of his Ranger. That adds significant weight and changes the center if gravity if the whole truck/camper combination. Therefore, it is advantageous to have a good rear anti-sway bar on his truck.

That's the point. It is optional equipment. Whether you need it or not depends on your I dividual truck and how you intend to use it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals