• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear spring hanger replacement tip

MarkV

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When changing my own spring hangers, I came up with a time saving idea to get the bolts through the holes in the frame without tearing up your knuckles. When working on the driver side, I worked for over an hour trying to get the bolts through the frame. After tearing up my knuckles, I decided to try putting a piece of dental floss through one of the holes in frame (from the outside in) and let it drop to the floor. At this point, what you will be left with is a piece of dental floss running though the hole in the frame with each end of the floss almost touching the floor. Now, take the end of the floss running between the frame and the gas tank and tie it around the threads of one of your bolts (furthest from the head of the bolt). With the bolt tied to the dental floss, pull on the piece of dental floss on the outside of the frame and fish the bolt between the frame and the gas tank and then through the whole in the frame (without tearing up your knuckles). I did this with all four bolts and it worked wonderfully. The only regret I have is that I did not think of it earlier.

Thank you,

MarkV
Kent, Ohio

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
SOHC 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
LT265/75/R16
Good tip! Taking off the bed is probably the best idea for replacing the spring hangers. 10x easier, although it requires a few people to lift it off.

94 lngbd

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
requires only 2 people or a single engine hoist

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good tip!

Richard

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals