• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear leaf spring mount

dmassey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I posted this also on the 2.3 engine forum and then found that there was a separate forum for the suspension so here it is again. Just wondering if anyone has had a problem with the rear spring mount (front mount) rusting out. I realize that nothing last forever but I'm one of those folks that keeps a vehicle until the wheels fall off and I've never had this to happen on any of the other vehicles (can't say that anymore). I went on the Advance Auto website and fortunately they list the part that I need ($32.99) so I'm going to get both replaced and probably do the rear shackle end later. But the question - Anyone else had this to happen? BTW this is strickly an "on road" vehicle.
Thanks,
Danny

dmassey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Got everything taken care of. Turns out that both mounts and both shackles were bad so I had not only the mounts and shackles replaced but while I was into it I had the shocks replaced too. Truck rides like new.:icon_thumby:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Yes, it is quite common on these trucks.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Been there done that not fun

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Where are you located? I am in the salt belt here. My truck is not too rusted and the hangers on mine are still reasonably intact, but I have seen some really ugly ones in the junkyard.

dmassey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Where are you located? I am in the salt belt here. My truck is not too rusted and the hangers on mine are still reasonably intact, but I have seen some really ugly ones in the junkyard.
Located in NE Tenn. Bought the truck in 98 but previous (and only other) owner was local too. Guy that done the replacement said that he's had to do this on a lot of F150's and Rangers. I've got 186K now so this should last me I reckon.

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Do u guys have calsium chloride to?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've got 186K now so this should last me I reckon.
Yup, you should be in good shape as long as you don't get into snow plowing with it. I bought a Mustang once that supposedly spent much of its life in Las Vegas, and it looked spotless clean underneath.

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is calcium chloride salt? I know they use salt in MD, but I don't know what it actually is. Perhaps I should have researched that before putting a handful of the stuff on my sandwich.:shok:

dmassey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yep. They use the solid and liquid CaCl. Solid after the snow falls and liquid when it is forcasted. Both makes a mess but I hear the liquid does more vehicle damage since it is liquid and can penetrate more places...... I've gotten to where unless I absolutely hve to, I don't get our vehicles out n the mess. Course I've got to get out at least one more winter since I just turned 64. I'd like to find an the old Willys Jeep like I drove when I was a kid working in a filling station. That was a real fun snow machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dmassey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yup, you should be in good shape as long as you don't get into snow plowing with it. I bought a Mustang once that supposedly spent much of its life in Las Vegas, and it looked spotless clean underneath.
What happened to the Mustang? I've got a 71 that I ordered when I got out of the Army in March of 71.

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I see. They just use solid salt here, which is still bad enough. A couple years ago, it snowed a few inches and four days after it snowed, and two days after the snow had melted, a Baltimore city snowplow came by and salted us. That was on a Sunday, so the guy driving the truck was probably making double time. Our tax dollars at work. If I didn't hate the salt so much, I would have thought it was funny. We have a 91 F-150 that has seen a lot of snow driving. That thing is seriously rusted out. The bed twisted up pretty bad hauling a 351 a couple years ago. That never would have happened when it was new. I still runs though. It goes through the snow pretty good for a 2wd. Me and my father like to go out when it snows and try to climb the biggest steepest hills we can find with it. We were kind of disappointed last year when we didn't get any snow at all.

The Mustang was just a 99. I picked it up for $3k. It needed a couple things, but I couldn't turn down that deal. Even though 99 isn't that old, I see cars from similar years, and some newer, that spent most or all of their time around here, that look like they have been sitting underwater or something. The one I bought had 70k miles on it, but looked almost like new. I didn't have it very long. Some guy offered me 5k for it and I took the money. You bought the 71 new?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals