• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear end vibration

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm thinking rear axle bearings at 175k miles never changed. Feels in the driveline and seems more than just a wheel weight being off. Vibration seems more noticeable during highway speeds and severity varies with acceleration and deceleration. I'm thinking there are bearings at the wheels and at the differential? As well as the seal being replaced at the wheels. Is there somewhere on here I can find a schematic of this? Ideas on all of this?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It is a tire or wheel problem 99% of the time
The other 1% is drive shaft

Axle bearings tend to last the life if the vehicle, they can fail just like pinion bearing or other differential parts, but these failures usually have a louder "hum" associated with them, maybe some vibration but that would come later, "hum" would be noticed first.

Rotate tires/wheels back to front, that's the simplest free test

I had a tire that had belts separate inside, weird vibration at certain speeds, it seemed balanced with no pressure on the tire, because it was balanced.
But as soon as you put weight on it and went out for a drive it would vibrate

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It definitely hums as I go hwy speeds. When I spin both axles, without wheels on them (as I'm doing brakes), I can feel vibration. Shouldn't it be smooth?

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
and U-joints replaced last winter thinking that might be the issue. Doesn't get a lot of hwy miles on it until lately and it reminded me that it was still unresolved :-(

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
just FYI if someone ever queries this thread... couple months ago took truck to the shop and they confirmed it was the pinion bearing that had gone bad. $800 later, hum is gone... :bawling: Seemed better right after fix but recently seems to hum a little at just slight acceleration... but no vibration like it was. Shop seemed to think the slight hum is just the gears possibly a little beat up from the tore up pinion bearing :dunno: 95% better than it was so not replacing gears in it unless it absolutely needs it!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals