• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear end skips sideways on bumps

Tonka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
Why's my Ranger's rear end always trying to skip to the right on bumps? My theory was bad shocks, combined with the effect of having a slightly shorter axle shaft on the right.

I changed the shocks, all 4 of them, took it down a crappy back-road, and it rides better but still gets sideways on me when I hit bumps.

It's never been in an accident, frame's not twisted. It was my grandpa's, he beat the living piss out of it and then he died, and my grandma gave it to me because she can't drive stick-shift. Neither of us ever took it off road, unless we were taking it slow.

I don't want to believe that it would have been like this from the factory. There's gotta be something I can fix, adjust or replace.

Last edited:

Tonka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
Back in high school, this side-skipping was probably a factor that led to the death of an adorable, bright-eyed happy-faced 16 yr old girl I went to school with. The rumor was that she was riding in the back of this reject's 1984 Ranger and he was driving like a jack-a$$ and was going really fast down a rural road full of pot-holes. He lost control and flipped the ranger, and Sharies ended up flying out of the truck and was killed. Rumor at the time was he was drunk.

About a year later I drove a friend to court for a DUI hearing or something, and that reject who crashed the ranger was there for reckless driving & vehicular negligence or whatever, related to the fatal rollover. So after Eric got his "continuance" because he didn't have a lawyer, we stayed in the "audience" because I wanted to find out about that crash. I knew that girl.

It was just a pre-trial hearing so I memorized the date and went back and sat through the trial. The prosecution never mentioned anything about him being drunk, but his lawyer had him on the stand and I remember he said he was doing about 55 and hit a bunch of pot-holes and the rear end of the truck bounced sideways far enough that when it finally gripped on smooth pavement he couldn't counter-steer quick enough and the truck went through the ditch and rolled over in the field on the other side.

I didn't own a ranger at the time and didn't believe his story, until about a year ago. State Line Road, which is the dividing line between IL and IN just north of the Kankakee River, is like that. I was taking a different route to go check out the flooding on the river, and I hit a nasty group of pot-holes at around 55 mph. It scared the f*** out of me. The ranger jumped sideways about a foot, then I hit another one before it could straighten out and it jumped even further and I almost lost control. Instinct took over and I ripped it down into 2nd gear and dumped the clutch for some engine braking on the rear end and I got 'er back under conrol. That's when I remembered the story Jimmy told in court.

Usually though, the side-skipping is just a minor annoyance but I know it's probably hard on my leaf springs.

Anybody know of a fix for this?

Last edited:

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
+2^ my 92' does the same thing always to the right too. No idea what it is. Wonder if it's a second gen thing? I did alignments for a while and every Ranger I ever worked on no matter the year always had the rear axle slightly out of alignment (not so bad to cause problems or usually even notice with out the computer) so I figured mine was off that much further when new shocks didn't fix it so I never asked on here. But it is sketchy from time to time especially over expansion joints. So I'm curious too. Tonka have you ever had it aligned? I haven't on mine but the tires wear fine and it doesn't wander, just the jump to the right, so I haven't gotten it aligned yet. I'm sorry to hear about the girl you knew.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i live on a rural road. i experience this everyday, but not if i have significant weight in the bed. i chock it up to a very light weight rear end and bad shocks.

what brand shocks did you use? i replaced mine with napa shocks and saw an improvement for a while, but they have already failed and leaked the oil out so im back to being bouncy on bumps.

its not an issue if you just slow down or avoid the bumps. might want to look at the leaf spring mounts and your u-bolts for the axle just to be sure.

another thing that helped a little bit was switching from heavy steel wheels to lightweight aluminum wheels it lowers the unsprung weight that the shocks have to dampen

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
get good shocks ...which you may already have, and put the shocks on the same side of the axle.

ime, what works decent on the 2 wheelers is in the back of the axle

the stock suspension is a compromise due to space and fuel tank/spare tire options....

Tonka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
+2^ my 92' does the same thing always to the right too. No idea what it is. Wonder if it's a second gen thing? I did alignments for a while and every Ranger I ever worked on no matter the year always had the rear axle slightly out of alignment (not so bad to cause problems or usually even notice with out the computer) so I figured mine was off that much further when new shocks didn't fix it so I never asked on here. But it is sketchy from time to time especially over expansion joints. So I'm curious too. Tonka have you ever had it aligned? I haven't on mine but the tires wear fine and it doesn't wander, just the jump to the right, so I haven't gotten it aligned yet. I'm sorry to hear about the girl you knew.
Never had it aligned either. It doesn't dog-walk or wander. My tires also wear ok. The only problem is the side-skip on bumps.

I just got home from the junkyard with a "new" axle for it though. Unrelated issue, I just wanted my stock axle ratio back. I'll have it all apart this weekend and I'll probably be at Autozone for new U-bolts, brake fluid, etc.

So maybe I'll get new bushings for my leaf springs as long as I'm tearing the rear end apart.

Tonka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
get good shocks ...which you may already have, and put the shocks on the same side of the axle.

ime, what works decent on the 2 wheelers is in the back of the axle

the stock suspension is a compromise due to space and fuel tank/spare tire options....
How exactly would I do that? :icon_welder: ??

I know it's pretty stupid the way they have one shock forward and the other back. I'd like to switch it over but I really don't want to open a can of worms. How do I know the welding won't mess up the overall strength of the axle? Every time you heat metal to liquid for welding you lose carbon.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
How exactly would I do that? :icon_welder: ??

I know it's pretty stupid the way they have one shock forward and the other back. I'd like to switch it over but I really don't want to open a can of worms. How do I know the welding won't mess up the overall strength of the axle? Every time you heat metal to liquid for welding you lose carbon.
dooooooood...

you are on the wrong site to mention shit like that:D

seriously. you can roll the upper lip with a good size crescent wrench on the passenger side and reuse the mount, and u bolt a mount to the tube using the stock mount as a stop if no one is available to weld it for ya. shouldnt be more then 30-45 bux to have a shop cut and refix your stock axle mount.

Tonka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
dooooooood...

you are on the wrong site to mention shit like that:D

seriously. you can roll the upper lip with a good size crescent wrench on the passenger side and reuse the mount, and u bolt a mount to the tube using the stock mount as a stop if no one is available to weld it for ya. shouldnt be more then 30-45 bux to have a shop cut and refix your stock axle mount.
Well if I'm gonna have any welding done on an axle, I might as well be converting over to an Explorer axle at the same time so I can have disc brakes back there too, eh?

Maybe I'll do that one of these days. But for right now I'd just like to be able to make at least one trip down south to my (future) father-in-law's land and bring my camper AND my 4 wheeler at the same time, with my Ranger.

That reminds me, I got home with that junkyard 3.45 axle like 2 or 3 hours ago and I've been sitting here going back and forth between this forum and a trucking forum.

Gotta go outside and at least get it out of my breast cancer trailer and get it hanging from hooks so I can brush it up and spray it some nice purty colors or something. I ain't gonna swap the diff oil til I get it installed, it's easier that way.

What should I do with this 8.8" mystery axle?? It's geared HIGHER (lower number) than a 3.08, has no tag, but there's nothing wrong with it. Maybe junkyard will buy it? I'd hate to scrap it.

(Oh, BTW the "breast cancer trailer" is what I'm calling my chinese-built 4x8 utility trailer. It was red when it was new, but the paint has faded in the sun so now it's pink. The dude at the junkyard told me his mom would love that trailer because she's a breast cancer survivor. So maybe instead of re-painting that thing with American paint, I oughta just put a pink ribbon on it and claim that I WANTED it to be pink, LOL)

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
....you can make an explorer axle a bolt in solution

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I call it wheel hop and just shrug it off.

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
Mine does that. I got used to it.

Il Brutto

02/2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If it ain't broke...fix it before it does.
Would traction bars help?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

407Link

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 04 does that..never does it loaded..its just because the rear end is so light

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals