• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear end conversion?

franky1205

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
SPLASH
Transmission
Automatic
I’m interested in having disc brakes in the rear as opposed to these drums I found one from an explorer and a mustang with a 5.0 which I plan on putting in in the future I believe it’s an 8.8 rear end do I have to have the motor and tranny from these cars in my ranger in order to have that rear end any tips and tricks would be appreciated

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
No. Your engine and trans will spin that rear just fine.

The explorer disc brake conversion is pretty popular and well documented. Dont use the mustang rear.

Also, if you have 4wd you will need to make sure the rear you put in has the same gear ratio in order to match the front.

Welcome to TRS!

franky1205

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
SPLASH
Transmission
Automatic
No mine is a RWD drive so i have to find an 8.8 from an explorer ?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
No mine is a RWD drive so i have to find an 8.8 from an explorer ?
That would be eaisest.

Why dont you post your question in the axle forum. Where youll get much better responses then i can give.

franky1205

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
SPLASH
Transmission
Automatic
Ok thanx I’m new to this site so thanx for the advice I’ll definitely do that

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ill just move this to the axle section.

Welcome!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Use the Explorer rear end. Neither one is bolt-in, unless you want to loose about 4 inches of height off the rear of your truck, but the Explorer rear is going to be a lot less hassle.

The brakes are bigger, and better, and the parking brake hook up will be nearly 100% factory.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The Explorer axle seems the most popular swap for those also looking for a strength upgrade at the same time (say, if you're running 35" or taller tires and/or a well-built engine). It isn't quite bolt-in though, you have to reposition the leaf spring perches and add shock brackets, which isn't a difficult job for someone with fabricating experience. However if you also lack a welder, you might consider having an off-road fabrication shop do the swap.

Some info on it here:

Another option if you don't need the strength increase but only want the disc brakes might be to look for a 2010 or 2011 Ranger 8.8" axle. I do believe these would be a bolt-in swap to yours (excepting for the brake connections) You'll need the u-bolts and leaf spring plates from the truck the axle comes from since the tubes are bigger.

Mike Tonon

Now, in theory, we could have 4.10 up front and 3.73 in the back and just run bigger tires up front and smaller tires in the back, right? If we want to be a cool kid?

Reactions: Mac

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Now, in theory, we could have 4.10 up front and 3.73 in the back and just run bigger tires up front and smaller tires in the back, right? If we want to be a cool kid?
That is how they do it with tractors, although they usually have the front spinning a hair faster than the rear.

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My STX at the moment lmao, soon Ill get around to getting the FX4 Lvl II rear axle swapped in. But the transfer case survived all winter the very few limited times I HAD to use 4wd...

Speaking of, if the OP could find a Lvl II axle then he would have a bolt in axle with the strength of an explorer 8.8 and could easily retrofit the explorer discs to it. The only down side would be they only come 4.10 gears if thats not what he wants and replacement axle shafts may be hard to source if the need ever arose... wish Ford would have just used an explorer housing for the Lvl II for that very reason lol

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
My STX at the moment lmao, soon Ill get around to getting the FX4 Lvl II rear axle swapped in. But the transfer case survived all winter the very few limited times I HAD to use 4wd...

Speaking of, if the OP could find a Lvl II axle then he would have a bolt in axle with the strength of an explorer 8.8 and could easily retrofit the explorer discs to it. The only down side would be they only come 4.10 gears if thats not what he wants and replacement axle shafts may be hard to source if the need ever arose... wish Ford would have just used an explorer housing for the Lvl II for that very reason lol

there does seem to be confusion about the Level II axle shafts, do you know any part #s for them? and their respective lengths?

to the OP,, 2010 Ranger rear axles come standard with rear disc brakes. they are sort of a hybrid axle, Explorer style big axle bearings but only 28 splines in the differential. parking brake is the hat style. Unfortunately THEY DO NOT HAVE PROVISIONS FOR THE SPEED SENSOR ON THE DIFFERENTAIL

Last edited:

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
there does seem to be confusion about the Level II axle shafts, do you know any part #s for them? and their respective lengths?
I dont know the part numbers offhand but my understanding is it is the same width as any other '93+ ranger axle (~1.5" narrower then an explorer axle iirc) but 31 spline instead of 28.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals