• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear drums making noise.

ChrisChannel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey all I'm new to this thread so I appoligize if another post like this is up.however I'm in a sticky situation. I'm about 50 miles out of phx. I was driving all n fine until my two rear tires started making this loud metal on metal rubbing noise with squeaking as well. Not sure what could be the issue yet. I stopped for a few minutes then carried on and the noise stopped for about 5 miles then came back. Issue with both drums at the same exact time? Trying to figure this out before calling a toe. Hopefully I don't need one.:icon_idea:

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had a similar kind of issue with my ranger when I first bought it. Mine was a squeaking & clanking noise coming from one side that came and went. I pulled the drum off and I had a broken spring which had caused all the internals to fall apart inside the drum.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

ChrisChannel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well there's no clacking noise now. Decided to drive a bit more and I made it into phx. Called my pops and hes thinking it could be rub from the parking break rubbing. I pushed it in both times I stopped too. Any ideas on that?

TrueTarzan

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
No braking material could cause the metal to metal noise why they take a few miles to come back...my only thought would be sticking parking brakes..does the truck seem to take more power to get moving? or stop quicker when just trying to coast? i just had this problem with mine the cable would stick half engaged so i could move but the truck didn't like to

ChrisChannel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
No. It seems to stop fine. Only other thing I can think of is maybe the back drums are being used more. I replaced the front rotors and pad a week ago. Maybe thinking the front is still setring in. And rear is working more? Not sure though. It just is unual that it comes and goes. Just a loud swishing metal noise. Guess ill find out tomorrow when I jack it up. Any good links to drum removal would be great. Never had to do them. Heard they are a pain.

TrueTarzan

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Mine weren't bad but mine is a '99 and have been off more times than my hands can count. Mine don't have any special clips or anything holding the drum on and usually slide right off. if they are stuck they may need some...persuasion..or taking a screw driver and loosening the self adjuster through the lower side of the backing plate. The Technical-Info link up top might have some helpful information..can't recall off hand though. Best of luck!

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
I posted a few pics in the brake section under "99 drum brake problem" or something like that. Also I've seen either on TRS or YouTube a video that gave a good step by step on replacing drum brakes on an RBV. They haven't changed much since '92. I do suggest getting a decent set of brake spring pliers and the retaining spring/washer tool. The job can be done without them, but is easier with them.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Time for a 4-wheel brake job...do it right. Good luck.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you don't find anything wrong with your brakes when you take it apart check that rear u-joint.

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
What he said!

Time for a 4-wheel brake job...do it right. Good luck.
By "do it right" he means flush old brake fluid from the whole system, inspect/replace front pads/rotors, new shoes and possibly drums in the rear, new brake hardware for the rear (springs etc, around $10), probably new wheel cylinders, parking brake cables, and flexible brake hoses. Probably have to have an easy out tool and a couple new bleeder screws for the calipers too unless they get replaced.

Sounds like a lot but it's doable. And you'll be amazed at how bad your brakes were before you rehabbed them, especially if you're rolling some original equipment in that 1991...

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The time/money spent on a full brake job is WAY CHEAP compared to the grief you'll get if you can't stop and hit someone, or something. Never scrimp on brakes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals