• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear door handle rivets

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Can anyone tell me what size they are? That is the rivets holding the "exterior" door handle in the rear suicide doors. I drilled them out to replace the passenger side handle that came in the other day and had been planning to reinstall with button head torx bolts. Well, that ain't going to work, no access on the back side to get to a nut. I could put in rivnuts, but the flange would create a gap between the handle and door panel, so I don't like that option either. I have access to a rivet puller, but I'll need to stop by the hardware store and pick up some rivets, but I don't know what size I need.

The handle is connected to the cables and stuck in the door, but not mounted. It was starting to storm when I came in from working on the truck so I wasn't able to take the time to pull it back off and probably won't have time before I head into work tomorrow (in a few hours actually).

Can anyone tell me what size rivets I need for this?

My gut is talling me 1/4", but I don't want to come home with the wrong stuff. I know the factory pull rivets are a split type that I probably can't get locally, but I should be able to get some standard pull rivets either at ACE, Lowes, or Home Depot.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
They're pretty much whatever size drill bit you used to drill them out, but I think I used 3/16's.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I used real short pan head "1/4-20" bolts and fiber nuts

1672843986009.png
1672844003092.png

Panhead on the outside, Fiber nuts on the iside.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
They're pretty much whatever size drill bit you used to drill them out, but I think I used 3/16's.
Honestly, I don't remember much about yesterday. Two days with very little sleep, I was functioning but not much more. I think 1/4", but I only drilled enough to pop the rivet head off. Pulled the door handle and punched the rest through the door. I don't know if the drill bit was larger than the shank or not.

I used real short pan head "1/4-20" bolts and fiber nuts

View attachment 87122 View attachment 87123

Panhead on the outside, Fiber nuts on the iside.
On the front door handle or rear door handle? Those might work on the front, but on the rear there is no access to put a nut on the backside. That was the original plan, but had to abort and reapproach the issue once I saw that.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
On the front door handle or rear door handle? Those might work on the front, but on the rear there is no access to put a nut on the backside. That was the original plan, but had to abort and reapproach the issue once I saw that.
Sorry, I was talking about the Front doors. I have a Single cab and did not catch that you were reffering to the back doors.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Use your drill bit set to size the hole that's left.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Use your drill bit set to size the hole that's left.
Hard to do when I'm not.near the truck. Was trying to get them on the way home from work so I could install when I get there.

I assumed there are enough people here that have replaced them that someone might be able to tell me a size.

Turns out that it flooded today, and since the truck is sitting outside it's going to be too wet to work on. Maybe I'll be able to wade out there a drill bit in it today and get some tomorrow.

Hopefully it didn't blow the doors open and flood inside the truck. They seemed to shut pretty well yesterday even with the rear latches removed.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
Probably too late now, but buy a few of each. 1/4 & 3/16. They're not that expensive and you'll probably use them all at some point. Pretty sure they were 3/16 though.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Actually you aren't too late. With the weather today there was no point in getting rivets on we way home since I couldn't really work on it anyway. I did take a moment to stick a drill bit in the hole and you were correct, it is 3/16.

FWIW it looks like Auveco 19414 is the correct rivet for replacing these handles. 3/16" shank diameter, 1/2" head diameter, 1/32"- 1/4" grip length, Peel type. Seems to be a replacement for Ford P/N W525170-S417. Since I won't be getting to install the handles before next week I ordered some on ebay, they should be here first part of next week.

Also ordered some trim clips that will hopefully work for the rear door panels. https://www.ebay.com/itm/332682979873 I had a few break when removing the panels and I couldn't find a part number for the original clips, not that I would want to pay for them if I did. Those were the closest visual match I could find.

If anyone is looking for them down the road, it appears that Auveco 18167 might be the rivet for the front door handles. Not sure about that since I haven't actually looked at those rivets on my truck and will likely use bolts when/if I need to replace them. That part number a is 1/4" shank diameter and 3/4" head diameter according to their website.

Got the cable ends on 3 out of 4 latches replaced. I'll get the cable end on that 4th latch replaced and probabvly clean the latch tomorrow. If I have time I'll reassemble the latches int he doors and leave the cables where I can pull them to open the door. Unfortunately I figured out that I needed to replace the driver side door handle while I'm doing. Also waiting on another part to finish up my radio install. Those parts won't arrive before the weekend, and I'll be out of town hunting for final weekend of the season. Looks like I'll be burning the diesel this weekend.

Hopefully have it finished next week because school starts back up and I might be going out of town again the following weekend. Got to check on some bucket seats, and if they're still available it might be a 3 day road trip since I have a long weekend. Still need to see if the seats can fit into the car, the Ranger isn't proven enough for the drive yet and the diesel is too expensive for a 12 hour roundtrip

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals