• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Disk swap on an Fx4 L2?

jk10sport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I have tried to do some research behind swapping out my drums for disks on my 2003 Ranger Fx4 Lvl 2. I understand that it has the 8.8 31 spline like the explorers so I wont have to do an axle swap. but Im unsure as to they are straight bolt on or if I will have to modify or add some kind of spacer, because the explorer axle is longer. If they are straight bolt on, what kind of explorer do I need to look for, or do they all have the 8.8 31 spline. I know I will have to change the brake lines, will the explorer one work? And how do I rig up the Parking brake, the truck has a manual trans so its very important. Thanks in advance for any info.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you are stealing parts off of an expo, it should be mostly bolt on... as long as you go right down to the bare axle... i don't know exactly how bare they get though...

if you can get it down to something like this:

you should be able to just bolt all of the expo parts onto the ranger...

as for the ebrake, the expo will have the proper levers on the caliper, as their rear brakes have the e-brake incorporated into it, and should have the same pull length on them

and your last question, what has a 31 spline? your best bet would be check out the tech library on this site, and find the door codes for the 31 spline 8.8, i am not 100% sure the door codes will say if it's a 31 or 27 though, but that can be determined by the tube circumfrence, again, that info will be in the tech library

welcome to the site, i hope you do a how to on them, as i've got the exact same axle as you, and have been thinking about this for quite a while

also, fwiw, i would not bring home the rotors, or pads from the expo, buy new ones... though i would make sure to record the year and trim of the donor truck, will make it much simpler for buying replacement parts

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any Explorer 95-01 has a 31 spline axle with disc brakes. Explorer Sport Tracs up until their IRS redesign are the same as well.

On my '96 axle the brakeline from the Explorer went to the drivers side caliper and then went to the passenger side. I got a second passenger side soft brakeline so I can route it from the center of the axle Ranger style. I am going to have to bend two pieces of brake line... which I think is kind of fun anyway.

My 8.8 is sitting beside my truck at this point... so that is all I can help you with. There is a lot on here if you sit down and spend a night with a search window. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

jk10sport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys. I managed to pick up a '98 explorer rearend last weekend and tried to get it done this weekend but ran into the brake issue. I think what I may do is just cut the hard line right by the brakes and flare it, then run the soft line to the anchor plate. Just not sure what size brake line I have so I can do a proper flare and get the right fittings. I did find this article on here if it helps anyone. it some good info in it. http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Fall2003/Converting_your_Ranger_8.8_to_Explorer_disc_brakes.htm.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any Explorer 95-01 has a 31 spline axle with disc brakes. Explorer Sport Tracs up until their IRS redesign are the same as well.

On my '96 axle the brakeline from the Explorer went to the drivers side caliper and then went to the passenger side. I got a second passenger side soft brakeline so I can route it from the center of the axle Ranger style. I am going to have to bend two pieces of brake line... which I think is kind of fun anyway.

My 8.8 is sitting beside my truck at this point... so that is all I can help you with. There is a lot on here if you sit down and spend a night with a search window. :icon_thumby:
are you sure on all your facts there? i was hanging out with my buddy last week, who has an 02 ST with a 4SOHC, and 4x4, and he's got drum on the back...

Thanks guys. I managed to pick up a '98 explorer rearend last weekend and tried to get it done this weekend but ran into the brake issue. I think what I may do is just cut the hard line right by the brakes and flare it, then run the soft line to the anchor plate. Just not sure what size brake line I have so I can do a proper flare and get the right fittings. I did find this article on here if it helps anyone. it some good info in it. http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Fall2003/Converting_your_Ranger_8.8_to_Explorer_disc_brakes.htm.
if you pick up a brake line flaring kit, it should come with all the different size tools, don't know the exact size though, sorry

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Some early sport trac's and some early (95-97) explorers (seen it on the sport models) had rear drum.

The brake line is 3/16" with a standard double flare.

jk10sport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
sweet thanks, that was really my only hold up. because i wasnt sure about the brake size. hopefully i will be able to hit it next weekend.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
If you've seen a 1995-up Explorer with Drums somene swapped the axle on.

Remember that people break things and often a disc brake axle wasn't available.... so their mechanic would swap on a 1991-94 drum axle and most owners wouldn't notice the difference....

but the 1995-01 brake parts are a direct bolt on to the 31-spine FX4 axles

EXCEPT for the issue with the brake lines that you've already discovered

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals