• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear disc brakes on a F-150 axel?

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I want to do a disc brake setup on the rear axel on my ranger. Im swaping in a dana44 front axel with 5x5.5 bolt circle. I also have an 8.8 rear from an F-150 that i was going to swap in to keep the same bolt pattern and make it much easier to buy new rims.

So now i need to know if the disc brake setup from a 98+ F-150 would work. I cant find out if the newer trucks have the 8.8 axel in them, and if the axel tube ends were the same if it does have the same axel.

Jrod-13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
no, the wheel pattern is different between the two trucks, the newer fords are a metric pattern.

Personaly, I'd ditch the 8.8 from the start, and grab the 9" that matched the 44 front orriginaly.

The easy way to do discs on these axles is to buy the weld on brackets from speedway motors(about $10 each), run 1/2 ton chevy calipers, and then run ford front rotors.

I did that setup on mine about 4 years ago, for under $100(though I made my own brackets)

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Well, to get the 9" rear end to match would mean a whole lot of searching. I got the 44 for free when i bought my explorer for $300. Ive got an F-150 8.8 from a truck I scrapped. I think it would be alot easier on me to have a truck with 1 bolt pattern.

I figured if I could do disc brakes on the full size rear axel that would be a bonus, if not oh well i paid nothing for the front axel and nothing for the rear, i figure im ahead already.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals