• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Dana 60 pros and cons?

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I have a pair of dana 60s out of a '79 F-250 plow truck. I plan on using them under my '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I've heard some cons from friends on the rear 60, basically that they are weak under an SUV. Is this the general concensis? Should I not bother swapping it in and look for a Sterling 10.25 instead? I'd like to hear some opinions on this.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I would agree.
Most (if not all) full-floater rear D60s have 30 spline shafts, which is weaker than even the 8.8".

I'd definitely suggest the Sterling or a Dana70 (or a GM 14-bolt 10.5") to go along with a D60 front. Typically you want a stronger rear axle than the front, as it does a greater percentage of the work in moving the vehicle forward.

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
What is the rig for? Hardcore rockcrawler, hunting/trail rig?
I would say that a Dana 60 rear would hold up fine under the weight of your jeep, depending on driving style, tire size etc. Some Dana 60s came with 35 spline shafts but they are rare, you can get the Dana 60 axle tubes bored to accept 35 spline axle shafts etc. as well but that is more $.

Below is a 1.5" 14 bolt shaft and a 30 spline Dana 60 rear shaft...

D70, Sterling, or 14B will be stronger to start with and cost the same or less to build. If you dont have much into this axle and are looking to get the most bang for your buck I would consider looking for something else.

Last edited:

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Yup, the D60 would be one of my last choices for a full floater. 14bolts are VERY cheap/ strong/common, all good things for us wheeler types. Shave it, throw on some disk brakes and they even come down to a reasonable weight too!

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
my D60 has 16 splines lol. nothing available for it!

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1 vote for sterling 10.25 here...bullet proof and everywhere.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I basically have $75 into the axle so far, which is why I was considering using it, but before I do anything with it I would regear of course and do bearings, brakes, maybe a locker (weld it more than likely), so in the end I would have a few hundred tied into it.

This is basically a "beginner" rig for me, just for trail riding and the occasional rock pile. I've been wheeling plenty of times, but only driven a couple times, and that was someone elses vehicles. I know I know, swapping 60s in my first rig? Well my Jeep is a v8, and I'm pretty sure I'd be breaking the D30 and D35 before too long, so why not just swap in tons when I do the lift, its simple enough. I'm thinking of doing 38s but it depends on what I can fit.

I'm starting to consider just using it for now, if I break it, I break it, swapping in another axle won't be hard, I'd just have to weld another truss, no biggy.

I still have plenty of time to think about it, so I may still try to sell it, and use that money to get something else, who knows. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
id get a 14bolt, there everywhere and the newer the axle the better, i pulled my for my old chevy from a 97 3500 diesel van, u can remove the drums without pulling the axles:headbang: and there is considerably more beef then previous years in the form of ribbing and thicker everywhere

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
I basically have $75 into the axle so far, which is why I was considering using it, but before I do anything with it I would regear of course and do bearings, brakes, maybe a locker (weld it more than likely), so in the end I would have a few hundred tied into it.
Dont spend this kind of money on a 60 rear unless its 35 spline, and Im willing to bet its not.

This is basically a "beginner" rig for me, just for trail riding and the occasional rock pile.
Trust me starting out with a v8 and 38's it wont take long until you are romping on your shit, and that's when stuff starts to go.

I'm starting to consider just using it for now, if I break it, I break it, swapping in another axle won't be hard, I'd just have to weld another truss, no biggy.
And rebuild, regear, said new axle after the rear 60 lets you down. Do it right the first time. Sell or scrap the rear 60. Go find yourself a dana 70, 14 bolt or sterling. My vote is sterling.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
for the price of another axle, you could just spend that to get the spindles bored out. Its cheap.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals