• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

rear dana 35 jeep axle swap questions

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i found a killer deal on a set of axles from a cherokee, and i read about the d30 front swap till im blue in the face, but never heard much on the dana 35 rear axle. what needs to be done there, do the spring perches line up? and what about the driveshaft?
thanks

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
The 8.8 is stronger then the Jeep D35 rear. The jeep guys actually swap there D35 out for the 8.8, since they both have the same lug pattern. Only thing is just hooking the driveshaft to one and another too.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
well thanks.. but not really my question

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You probably want to put that in because it's the same ratio as the front.I would research that on a Jeep sight You could kinda figure it out backwards.They give Jeepers a lot of problems the axle will start coming out look back and your wheel is out about 4" and you don't move anymore.Also the axle just breaks housings are weak too.I would think them trying to get rid of it would tell you how to put one in.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
he is selling the axles because the motor blew in his jeep so hes parting out the rest. ive seen those axles get beat on and ask for more. so please can i get an answer to my question rather than other stuff about it

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
he is selling the axles because the motor blew in his jeep so hes parting out the rest. ive seen those axles get beat on and ask for more. so please can i get an answer to my question rather than other stuff about it
If your paying more then nothing for the D35 your being ripped off. But to answer your question. No it will not bolt into your B2/ranger. The D35 is about the same strength as the Ford 7.5", they have very similar specs. Just pickup a ranger or explorer 8.8. The explorer 8.8 is obviously the better choice because of the shaft size, but a regular ranger 8.8 would also be a step in the right direction for your b2/ranger is you have the 7.5 in either and would be cheap.

tomisb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
no the perces dont line up because a YJ dana 35 is spring under and a Cherokee dana 35 is spring over but the mounts are in a different location. As far as the driveshaft goes, the dana 35 has a yoke and your stock shaft has a flange.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The reason you're not getting much info about it is because the D35 rear is actually quite a bit weaker than your 7.5"... There's no good reason to swap one in.

You may have to figure this one out on your own if that's what you really want to do with it.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dont waste your time

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
It's a step in the wrong direction, even if someone gives the axles to you for free.

Don't waste your time. Put that time and effort into a ford explorer 8.8.

Also, forget about a D30, it's a worthless boat anchor and should stay underneath jeeps. No point in swapping out a pile of junk for another one.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
He does have a D28 under it now so it is actually an upgrade. I did it and no problems yet.

I just like having something that isnt a bolt in thing either, I just like to fab stuff.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
A D35 TTB swap in the front, and ford 8.8 in the back is a very economical and easy swap to do that is far better than a D30/D35 jeep axle swap.

Some people have different needs though, so maybe a D30/D35 swap is the cheapest route for them, while the axles offer the best beef that they need for their situation/wheeling habits

Its still backwards though....too much work for what it accomplishes. In my situation neither axle would most likely hold up especially for what my end goal is. So I always suggest not doing such swaps so that in case the OP's end goals change from DD/trail rider to weekend warrior/rock-crawler they aren't doing any un-neceessary work or wasting money. Might as well do it right the first time around type thing :icon_thumby:

Thats just the way I think :dunno:

If you really want to do it Boggin, go for it, but there is almost no one else that has probably done it so we can't help all that much.

Last edited:

kozak

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 351M, 302
Transmission
Automatic
A D35 TTB swap in the front, and ford 8.8 in the back is a very economical and easy swap to do that is far better than a D30/D35 jeep axle swap.

Some people have different needs though, so maybe a D30/D35 swap is the cheapest route for them, while the axles offer the best beef that they need for their situation/wheeling habits

Its still backwards though....too much work for what it accomplishes. In my situation neither axle would most likely hold up especially for what my end goal is. So I always suggest not doing such swaps so that in case the OP's end goals change from DD/trail rider to weekend warrior/rock-crawler they aren't doing any un-neceessary work or wasting money. Might as well do it right the first time around type thing :icon_thumby:

Thats just the way I think :dunno:

If you really want to do it Boggin, go for it, but there is almost no one else that has probably done it so we can't help all that much.
I couldn't agree more. I'm sorry Boggin I know its not what you want to hear, but your getting a killer deal on some junk axles that are better off in the scrap bin. Installing those axles into any RBV is a down grade in my opinion, but if this is what you are set on doing then do what you want. If you take it out wheeling I am sure you will get good at installing new gears in the rear end, changing axles shafts, and changing steering linkages.
:icon_cheers:

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
lol yea i changed more shafts then i can count on both hands in the d28 and i get used to the straight axle in my 79 so i wanted a d30 unles i can find a early bronco dana 44 which is very very unlikely. ill use the 28 i have now for another while. i have a 35 from a explorer here that i planned on building sometime to put in her too.

kroussinoffroad

October 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ferd
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i would never tell somone not to swap a D30 into these truck's if they have the outlook of runnin 33's with a factory motor. my level of trail difficulty greatly increased when i swapped mine due to the added capability, which led to me beatin the livin tar outta te axle. i blew a ranger 8.8 (27 spline) and the front held strong wheelin all the way home in FWD. i am now swapin in a 44 due to urge to run much larger tire's.

HOWEVER my parterner in crime (on most occasion's) is runnin a 02 TJ 4.0 manual, OX locked front and rear. on 33'' mtr kevlar's, with the LP30 up front and a 35 in the rear. and neither him nor I saw ANY jeep axle failure over the entire summer. he is now lookin at sellin the jeep cuz runnin it down tree's while still owing over 7,000$ is a BAD IDEA. he did upgrade the rear to a super 35 this winter due to all the reported failure's,(spent waytoo much in my opinion) but the "FACTORY 10" axle shaft's he's runnin have a no hassel lifetime warranty on them.

ITS YOUR TRUCK RUN IT HOW YOU WANNA!!!
if i were to de exactly what everyone told me i should do my truck would be runnin custom portal 2.5 ton axle's with a train engine. exo and internal roll cage, with howitzer track's. and rocket's behind the headlight's. just make sure you are gonna be happy with your truck when your done and that you dont feel like you wasted your time. if the 35 fail's you could allway's toss the factory axle back in, just make sure you have a spare driveshaft.

should be fairly easy to make the 35 fit if you decide to run it. grind the factory spring perche's off if there not the same width. either order a new pair or try and save the one's you grind off. make some shock tab's if need be or order some. and have the driveshaft lengthened or shortened if needbe. or locate the axle front to rear using the driveshaft. then you get into redrillin spring perche's, conversion u-joint's and sometime's that doesnt work out in the long run.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals