• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

rear brakes

myranger26105

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0v6
Transmission
Manual
got a 03 edge 4x4 i am having problems with my brakes locking up on the rear so i was going to take a look at the brakes to see if they need replaced and i tried to about an hour to take the drums off and i couldnt i used a rubber hammer and couldnt get them to move i dont think they have any nuts or bolts holding them on i have replaces drums brakes b4 on other cars and trucks and never had this problem could someone please help

partsguy84823

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just going to throw this out there, because I've done it... (I think we all may have). Did you make sure your parking brake was off? Out of habit, I tend to apply the parking brake before I ever put the truck up on jacks, makes it real hard to get the drum off...

myranger26105

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0v6
Transmission
Manual
LoL that is what i thought at first and i checked that and when i released the brake i made sure the wheel would turn to make sure it wasnt stuck....

mud390

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Had a very similar problem with my 03 4x4 Edge. The rear brakes always felt like they were dragging. Long story short, I was pressed for time, dropped it off at the shop for a front and rear brake job. Three hours later I get a call saying the front is done and one side on the rear is done. Took 2 guys 2 hours with 5 pound sledge's to get one drum off. It was full of rust and corrosion. The parking brake cable was a little rough at the drum too. The other side was just as bad. New drums, shoes, and hardware on both sides along with lubing the parking brake cable fixed everything. I've been told it's common for the rears to get like that if they aren't taken care of. (I had just bought the truck, so no finger pointing accusing neglect on my part :nono: )

Kris

myranger26105

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0v6
Transmission
Manual
that is pretty much the problem i am having i am off from work for a week i will have plenty of time to mess with it then thanks for all the info

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I took a crow bar and a three pound sledge and got mine off. It was a biyatch!

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
After you make sure the self adjuster is backed off all the way, get out your trusty torch and heat the center of the drum (not the axle) as hot as you can get it, and give the lip a whack with a sledge.

It should pop off.

Make sure you coat that area with anti-seize when you put the new drums on.

turtle3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Had the opportunity to dig into my drums last night. I was having some issues with the rear brakes so I first checked brake lines, etc before pulling the drums. Well, pulling is a bit of an understatment. I spend over an hour getting the passenger side drum off, then another 45 minutes getting the driver side off. Man what a mess.

Betwen fighting the drums and running to the parts store I was only able to get one side done (in the dark in my driveway) last night and the other will get done today.

Also, the rebuild kit I got from AutoZone had me scratching my head. All the replacement springs were perfect matches except one. The bottom spring in the assembly (the thin, long spring) wasn't shaped correctly. The one I took off had a "kink" in it which allowed it to sit correctly behind the auto adjust bracket with clearance. The new one contacted the bracket. I just reinstalled the old one and continued. Might not be the best option, but it was the only available option sitting in the dark with a work light in my driveway. I guess that's a testiment to keeping the old parts on hand, and not tossing them away once you remove them.

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Heat is your friend! I got to replace the original brake hoses on our 67 mustang last night and a guy told me get some PB blaster and spray it and wait for 15 minutes and then hit with a torch till it gets red and it will come right off. And I'll be damned if it didn't. The drivers side anyway. The passenger side was another story all together. I had to take my channel locks and round the crap out of that one, by by gosh it's done.

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Put away that 3 pound RUBBER hammer and use a 5 pound STEEL hammer. :headbang:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals