• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear brakes lock up when cold only

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
As stated, when the vehicle sits for a while (overnight or long enough to cool the shoes down to ambient temperature) and moving under 20 mph I start to apply the brakes and the rear locks up. After warming up they will not lock up no matter how hard you try. I haven't pull the drums off yet because I don't think the wheel cylinders are leaking as this only occurs when cold.

Any ideas?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The drums are flash rusting. I had a few vehicles do it. After it rains or is cold/humid I would just set the parking brake lightly and drive slow for a few hundred feet and it would clean the rust off then they would work normally.

Cheap metallic shoes, cheap drums, or too much brake dust in the drum will cause this. It's not necessarily a symptom of a major problem (it can be) but usually it just means time to clean everything and put some better shoes on it.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Thank you @Dirtman my guess would be the cheap shoes. I'll dig into it this weekend. Glad its not serious.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
These trucks are known for this...

Something I've found that works for me is to keep the rear brakes adjusted favoring the tighter side. My theory has to do with the way brake fluid is applied to both rear shoes evenly on both shoes until they self energize. When they do... the fluid on the rear brake shoe is displaced onto the front shoe... and the brakes lock up. So a tighter brake shoe adjustment means less fluid transferred.

There is also an old TSB about sealing up all water intrusion on the backing plates.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
These trucks are known for this...

Something I've found that works for me is to keep the rear brakes adjusted favoring the tighter side. My theory has to do with the way brake fluid is applied to both rear shoes evenly on both shoes until they self energize. When they do... the fluid on the rear brake shoe is displaced onto the front shoe... and the brakes lock up. So a tighter brake shoe adjustment means less fluid transferred.

There is also an old TSB about sealing up all water intrusion on the backing plates.
The water intrusion thing has always confused me. Drums can never be 100% sealed, its impossible. So water is unavoidable sometimes, the more you seal them the less water drains out. Plus this particular issue happens even when driving dry and you park it but it gets really humid. So intrusion wasn't an issue, damp air is always getting in. I'm not arguing with you, arguing about the theory. Cause ford may have TSB'S but ive had it happen on a chevy and a dodge.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The TSB was quite a few years ago. I sealed the backing plates on my new 04 when I did the PDI and never had a grabbing problem. I didn't have much confidence that it would work but it took a few minutes and a few dabs of silicone sealer. Try it before doing anything expensive, if it works you won.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Adjusting your brakes is absolutely free... you don't even have to get out of the drivers seat to do it either. If everything works properly.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
wild thought........both? of your axles seals are leaking?

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
wild thought........both? of your axles seals are leaking?
This is not the case, as if it were, then the brakes would lock all the time, hot or cold.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
This is not the case, as if it were, then the brakes would lock all the time, hot or cold.
Not necessarily, Both my wheel cylinders were leaking and when cold, or sat for a long time they would lock up, usually just one, but when hot they would only lock up if I spiked the brakes hard. Now that they are both replaced the rears only lock up if I spike the brakes hard, my RABS does not work so they will lock up.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Adjusting your brakes is absolutely free... you don't even have to get out of the drivers seat to do it either. If everything works properly.
Might as well play the lottery if that works. :icon_rofl:

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This is exactly why I replace those ancient drum brakes with disc brakes on the trucks I have.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
This is exactly why I replace those ancient drum brakes with disc brakes on the trucks I have.
I hate rear disc brakes, if you're braking hard enough to get any benefit from them all the weight is thrown onto the front wheels. Every spring for 7 years I took the drums off my 2004 Ranger to inspect the brakes, dumped out the dust and put them back on. Every spring for 8 years I completely disassembled the rear disc brakes on my 2011 Ranger, ground the rust off the edges of the rotors, caliper anchors, and slides, lubed all the slide points and put it back together. I forgot to mention grinding the rust and lubing the parking brake mechanism, too.

Mike Tonon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Mine were locking up when the truck was parked for more than a couple hours in wet conditions. I couldn’t get the shoes to release the drums. I ended up bending the pins on the backing plates and didn’t know it until a few years later.

Zmans

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So, I have 9in rear drums... replaced all the hardware and shoes. Self adjuster operational... lubricant on contact points of the plate, I still have dragging issues after releasing the parking brake. My theory that the cable binds up might prove true.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals