• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear brake shoe freezing up??

Mike Tonon

I back up and park on a hill at work. If it’s cold and wet out and my truck is sitting on that hill for a few hours or more, the rear brakes are locked. Solution? Just back up, upwards on the hill a couple inches and I can hear a sort of light click noise and they’ve unlocked. If I try to go forward without doing this, I feel a quick binding and a sudden, loud release. Loud like I wonder if I kept doing that, if the brake shoe would start breaking apart.

Also, I usually hear a little squeak noise, after I take my foot off the brakes, coming from the rear brakes. Not sure what it is, it’s done it for years, everything works fine.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
You need to get it fixed properly you're just causing more damage you may think it's okay but it's really not

Canuck4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I got in to the mechanic a few days back. He found a seized adjuster and a missing inspection plug.Its been cold here for the last few weeks but today is nice and mild. Tonight it is getting cold again. Hopefully it's fixed!

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
...I actually read somewhere online ( of course I can not find it now), that this is only prone to Ford trucks with drum brakes and this has been an issue in the past. The girlfriends deceased father apparently had the same problem years ago with a f150.:icon_rofl:

I first heard of this issue in the mid 70s with VW Scricco rear drums. it's nothing new.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
I got in to the mechanic a few days back. He found a seized adjuster and a missing inspection plug.Its been cold here for the last few weeks but today is nice and mild. Tonight it is getting cold again. Hopefully it's fixed!
A seized adjuster shouldn't make the the drum break lock up when sitting. It would stop the shoes from working because as the shoes wear down they will no longer touch the drum so I have a hard time seeing how this would make the break seize up while parked without the parking break on. The inspection plug, on the other hand, I can see allowing foreign objects and fluid in much easier causing issues.

I too get one drum that locks up on my 94 but I always use my parking break since I have a manual trans. It is also out of round, I can feel it in the pedal and when I turn that wheel while in the air, and could be adding to the reason I personally have this issue. When you had it in the shop do you know if they checked the drums to be sure they are not out of round?

Canuck4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The drums are only about a year old. I dont think he checked for roundness. He took everything apart and cleaned.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Are you still experiencing the issue?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals