• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear brake proportioning

EvanCole45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger GT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello, full disclosure I know nothing about this so correct me on anything if I’m wrong. My truck is an 88 Ranger GT and it seems that a previous owner broke something in the fuse box so a fuse no longer fits into the place for the break proportioning. It seems that the breaking is 50/50 front to rear which is not ideal for a truck with no ABS. I can live with it because I have some beefy 235/65/15 BFG Radial T/As all around but it gets pretty sketchy in the rain and on windy roads. Is there any way that I could fix this break proportioning issue without dealing with electronics? Are there any kits to swap to a manual valve instead of an electronic valve? I’d just love some help fixing this because currently my truck is a little bit of a death trap in the unpredictable California traffic.
Thanks!

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
not sure that you ever had electronic brake proportioning. but yes you can plumb in a proportioning valve inline to the rear brakes that basically limit volume going back there. wilwood makes a pretty cheap one. can be found at jegs. has a know and is used similar to a faucet.

EvanCole45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger GT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
not sure that you ever had electronic brake proportioning. but yes you can plumb in a proportioning valve inline to the rear brakes that basically limit volume going back there. wilwood makes a pretty cheap one. can be found at jegs. has a know and is used similar to a faucet.
Thanks I’ll take a look. I have no clue how the stock brake proportioning works, but there is a spot in the fuse box called break proportioning and that spot has been damaged and the fuse is missing in mine so somehow that’s effecting my breaking.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
An 88 would have had rear abs if I remember right. Look around here and you'll find the manuals.

EvanCole45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger GT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
An 88 would have had rear abs if I remember right. Look around here and you'll find the manuals.
It definitely doesn’t have ABS on front or rear wheels. When I had junky tires the front wheels would lock up too (only when I tried to lock them on purpose). If it had ABS and it was just broken I would expect there to be a light on the dash if it were broken.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can install a variable proportioning valve in place of the ABS valve, its in the frame rail under firewall area usually, it will have wires on it

Then you can then go to a gravel road and adjust the valve to your liking, i.e. slam on the brakes, lol

Last edited:

EvanCole45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger GT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You can install a variable proportioning valve in place of the ABS valve, it in the frame rail under firewall area usually, it will have wires on it

Then you can then go to a gravel road and adjust the valve to your liking, i.e. slam on the brakes, lol
I just ordered the kit from Jegs for like 30$ and I believe it bolts into the master cylinder and then you screw the brake line into the valve. I measured my stopping distance today and I’ll do the same once I get the kit dialed in. I averaged about 30 feet going 25-0 down a slight hill. I’m hoping I can take a lot of distance off that because I can’t even put the weight of my leg on the brakes now without locking the wheels up.

Last edited:

EvanCole45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger GT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Also I’ve noticed my front rotors are slightly warped. There is a slight pulsing as I slowly come to a complete stop. Will this effect the actual performance of my brakes significantly or is it just a minor inconvenience?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Because of the "flexing", it will wear your pads down faster. I would get them replaced as soon as you can.

EvanCole45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger GT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Because of the "flexing", it will wear your pads down faster. I would get them replaced as soon as you can.
I'll order them as soon as I can. I have plenty of time to install them while im quarantined. Thanks!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Be aware that even with a properly functioning brake system.... these truck are prone to locking the rear wheels. It most likely due to the light weight rear of the vehicle. I would get into the rear brakes and have a good look. Ensure parking brake is properly adjusted and not holding the shoes off the anchor pin. Ensure no leaks in the hydraulic system or axle seals.... contamination on the shoes will cause sticking issues. I have also found that a brake shoe adjustment favoring the tighter side prevents less shoe travel. In my experience this helps prevent lock ups. Also ensure your brake hardware is intact and in good shape. There was also a TSB issued years ago and though I've never seen it... it was basically addressing water intrusion. So ensure your adjuster plug is in the backing plate and park brake cable holes are tight and sealed.

Do you know for sure if it locks up both rear wheels? or a single rear wheel?

EvanCole45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger GT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Be aware that even with a properly functioning brake system.... these truck are prone to locking the rear wheels. It most likely due to the light weight rear of the vehicle. I would get into the rear brakes and have a good look. Ensure parking brake is properly adjusted and not holding the shoes off the anchor pin. Ensure no leaks in the hydraulic system or axle seals.... contamination on the shoes will cause sticking issues. I have also found that a brake shoe adjustment favoring the tighter side prevents less shoe travel. In my experience this helps prevent lock ups. Also ensure your brake hardware is intact and in good shape. There was also a TSB issued years ago and though I've never seen it... it was basically addressing water intrusion. So ensure your adjuster plug is in the backing plate and park brake cable holes are tight and sealed.

That’s really helpful thank you. How hard is it to check and adjust all this stuff? I’m pretty sure it’s both rear wheels but I’m not 100% sure. I’m not surprised it locks up considering it’s a 2700 pound vehicle with probably 65% of the weight in the front lol

EvanCole45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger GT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

After some testing it turns out my left wheel locks up about 10 feet before my right wheel on a 20 foot skip mark. What does this mean and how can I fix this?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hold out the Release handle and pump the E-brake pedal to make sure both sides are adjusted the same and retest

Look on the back side of each rear brake cover(backing plate) at the bottom to make sure one side is not leaking, either brake fluid or axle fluid, either will cause that side to grab more

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I'd take the brakes apart and look at them before modifying anything. A leaking axle seal or a sticky wheel cylinder can cause what you're getting. If you end up replacing the cylinders make sure they're the same, if you can't get them both from the same brand, pull the rubbers back and measure the diameter of the pistons. I replaced the rear cylinders on a truck years ago and the parts dept ended up getting them from 2 different sources. While that shouldn't have been a problem, one turned out to be the wrong part- it looked identical, bolted right up, but one was slightly bigger than the other and I chased the brake pull for days. Since the truck came in with no brakes I didn't instantly suspect the cylinders.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals