• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear brake on driver side engage TOO MUCH - 1989 Ranger

45-70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
29"
Hi!
Got a problem with my ol Ranger -89 4x4 2,9l V6
Rear brake on driver side locks the wheel really early. Got a fault on car inspection on this too (live in Sweden...) som I can't ride it, and I can't see anything wrong! Nothing loose, nothing that should not be there.
On a gravel road or on whet asfalt the wheel locks just when normal braking before turn or traffic light. It's a bitch! Tires screaming in town people jumping

Never had a brake that worked too well before, lol, so I don't even know what to look for. Wheel spins freely, nu gunk in assembly, everything fastened and looking all right. Adjusted the brake for more play but no difference.
Parking brake semes to engage quite even though, so I assume it's something to do with the hydraulics.
If my right brake cylinder got stuck, would all the force go in to the left instead and cause this to happen?
Any other ideas?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
You sure there is no contamination on the drums/shoes? Drums look good... no hot spots?

These trucks are prone to locking the rear wheel(s). In part due to the rear of the vehicle being so light. There was a TSB that addressed water intrusion. Had you seal up any open points in the backing plate.

Very important that the park brake is not hung up too. With the park brake struts in place... the tops of the primary and secondary brake shoes must be fully seated on the backing plate anchor pin. If not... address the park brake adjustment so they do seat on the anchor pin fully.

I have a theory that having the rear brakes adjusted to loose will cause a rear brake to lock up...

Under normal drum brake operation... when you apply the brakes fluid is sent the the wheel cylinders and pushes each piston equally and pushes the primary and secondary shoes out to contact the drum. Rotation of the drum causes the drum brakes to self energize. Meaning the primary shoe will react to drum rotation and force the secondary shoe back to the anchor pin. The fluid that was holding out the secondary shoe is now displaced back onto the primary shoe wheel cylinder piston. So the theory is that the further amount of distance the shoes have to travel... the greater amount of fluid that gets displaced onto the primary shoe during self energization. Thus locking up the brakes.

I always favor the tighter side of the rear brake adjustment for this reason... and it has worked well for me for many years without locking up my rear brake(s). Once you get them adjusted... pumping the rear brake pedal several times while rolling backwards will keep them adjusted properly.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
it could be a stuck opposite cylinder. for sure. or a clogged line to the opposite side. does the opposite side work?

45-70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
29"
You sure there is no contamination on the drums/shoes? Drums look good... no hot spots?

These trucks are prone to locking the rear wheel(s). In part due to the rear of the vehicle being so light. There was a TSB that addressed water intrusion. Had you seal up any open points in the backing plate.

Very important that the park brake is not hung up too. With the park brake struts in place... the tops of the primary and secondary brake shoes must be fully seated on the backing plate anchor pin. If not... address the park brake adjustment so they do seat on the anchor pin fully.

I have a theory that having the rear brakes adjusted to loose will cause a rear brake to lock up...

Under normal drum brake operation... when you apply the brakes fluid is sent the the wheel cylinders and pushes each piston equally and pushes the primary and secondary shoes out to contact the drum. Rotation of the drum causes the drum brakes to self energize. Meaning the primary shoe will react to drum rotation and force the secondary shoe back to the anchor pin. The fluid that was holding out the secondary shoe is now displaced back onto the primary shoe wheel cylinder piston. So the theory is that the further amount of distance the shoes have to travel... the greater amount of fluid that gets displaced onto the primary shoe during self energization. Thus locking up the brakes.

I always favor the tighter side of the rear brake adjustment for this reason... and it has worked well for me for many years without locking up my rear brake(s). Once you get them adjusted... pumping the rear brake pedal several times while rolling backwards will keep them adjusted properly.
Can't find anything wrong with the parking brake. No hang ups. No water intrusion problem. Don't se anything out of alignment at all...
I'll try adjusting brake pads tighter.

it could be a stuck opposite cylinder. for sure. or a clogged line to the opposite side. does the opposite side work?
It does, yes, but not very good.
Test result was 1,4 rear left and 0,4 rear right. The numbers might not tell you anything, lol, but the ratio is pretty clear. Thought that if one cylinder don't take all the fluid, the other ought to get it instead

I'd like to have 1,0 and 1,0 on the test...

45-70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
29"

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
when i had rear brakes working to well in previous vehicles, it was the distribution block working incorrectly by the master cylinder.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I'm no hydraulics expert. But the fluid is sent in all directions equally... if one cylinder is frozen... it won't divert that pressure onto the opposing cylinder. At least that's what my non expert self believes.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
when i had rear brakes working to well in previous vehicles, it was the distribution block working incorrectly by the master cylinder.
That will cause both drums to lock up. at least it should.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
pull the rubber end caps back on the wheel cylinders and inspect for movement & rust.

while the drums are off, depress the brakes slightly to lift the tops of the shoes away from the anchor pin about 4-6mm, then bang on the shoes one at a time
to shift them left then right. does everything move freely in both directions?

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
I'm no hydraulics expert. But the fluid is sent in all directions equally... if one cylinder is frozen... it won't divert that pressure onto the opposing cylinder. At least that's what my non expert self believes.
you are correct. it will indeed equally go to all points.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
another trick I do is to mark the shoes with a magic marker then spin the drums, remove and look where the contact areas are.

45-70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
29"
+1 for Uncle Gump's theory on slack calibration causing locking brake!
I tightende it up really well (can't get the f-n drum of again LOL) and the brakes are looking very good!
Back still locks before front, but evenly now and way later!
I'll get back to you after next inspections when I get the new results :)

Thank's allot everyone! This forum i f-n great! Thank you god for internet...

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
+1 for Uncle Gump's theory on slack calibration causing locking brake!
I tightende it up really well (can't get the f-n drum of again LOL) and the brakes are looking very good!
Back still locks before front, but evenly now and way later!
I'll get back to you after next inspections when I get the new results :)

Thank's allot everyone! This forum i f-n great! Thank you god for internet...

well, sometimes the internet is good :icon_rofl:

45-70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
29"
About that... Isn't the pressure directed like 60/40 front/back? Shouldn't that mean over preassure from the front can't leak to the back at least?
I'd like to adjust them to more like 70/30 i fact. Just cus it is so light in the back. Gets really sketchy on the as it is (which we got a lot of half the year up here...)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals