• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear axle swap for a dually axle.

gooch20.ks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So ive got an 01 2wd 3.0l automatic bone stock. Ragular cab, standard bed. Ive scrapped the bed and currently working on fixing some frame issues. A buddy and i think it would be cool as hell to make this truck a dually. Just wondering if anyone out there has ever done a full dually rearend swap? Maybe lead me in the right direction to find a rearend close to the same at stock. I am a fabricator no problem making thing work.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I don't think anyone has done anything similar since J.C. Whitney and other companies stopped selling the adapter kits for factory axles. Anything you do, unless you can fine an old camper with the adapters on it, is going to require modification and fabrication of a dually or dually capable axle. The adapters I speak of mounted to the factory hub, much like a spacer, and you had to use the appropriate rims that would allow proper spacing of the two tires. Those axles were known to have a lot of bearing issues because of the load being moved so far out from factory spec.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
You would probably be better off finding a dually axle, I don't know on those if the axles are equal length or not but you might be able to get two short shafts and narrow the long side some... I'm pretty sure the Dana 80's (I think that's what they are) Ford used for the '90's models have a tone ring so your speedo will work, and they're the normal 8 lug that's common...

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
can you fabricate wheel rims? or at least replace the inner disk portion?
excluding the spring being in the way, 2 super offset wheels could possibly mount to the existing axle flange.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I’d look for an 80’s Toyota dually camper. That axle should be about the right width.
CD9CF3DE-359D-4537-BF51-DF4419377177.jpeg

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
@volomte, @gooch20.ks

The idea of a dually Ranger comes up about once a year on the forum here:

Full size axle/adapters work with current rims and tires, but

The issue with a Dana 70/Sterling10.5 i.e. full size dually axle - they are very wide: Outside tire outer edge is at ~95", while stock Ranger is ~68" And they are heavy - Sterling is 330lbs versus 130lbs for Ford 7.5" and that doesn't account for extra tire & rim mass - which can easily be another couple hundred lbs compared to your current set up.

The issue with adapters: Your current semi floating axle shaft extends 2-3/8" past end of axle tube, the outer bearing is more/less at end of axle tube. If you use adapters, you will need to space the inner rim out at least 4" (or the inner tire rubs on the spring). Think holding 20lb dumbbell straight out at elbow versus holding 40lb one straight out from shoulder - not good for the axle.

The issue with the Toyota - the rims are small and narrow - 14 x 5j; the backspacing was for 185R14 (aka 185/80R14) tires. Anything larger than 195/75R14* and the tire sidewalls start rubbing against each other, and that is setup for blow out of both tires.
* Assumes you haven't spaced the rims apart.

We need someone like JC Whitney to make rims in current size/bolt pattern/to fit current brakes and then we can work on the axle issue.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I dont know if id trust 10mph tractor hardware running 60 down the road.
I'd wager it would probably be alright under most circumstances. 60mph or not, those spacers have a LOT less stress to deal with on a Ranger compared to a tractor.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd wager it would probably be alright under most circumstances. 60mph or not, those spacers have a LOT less stress to deal with on a Ranger compared to a tractor.
But you don't design/manufacturer/install/use for the best circumstance. The spacer has to handle the case where your driving 110km/h and you hit the 2x4 which just fell off @rusty ol ranger 's truck with the outer dual tire. (And the actual stress at 10mph between a Ranger and Kubota L series is about the same - at 60 mph in Ranger the stress is order of magnitude more).

Toyota stopped using semi float axles and offered no charge replacement with full float axle because people were having axles fail when used as a dually.

Mr. Hansen's products are very good for their intended usage, but adding an additional tire to a Ford Ranger isn't it.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
uhaul used those toyotas on their small box trucks too, back in the day. they show up on craigslist pretty regularly here, once or twice a year.

i looked at them a few times thinking they would be cool for a work truck if i found one with the 6 cylinder, not hte 22r. my parent's toyota rv, like the one pictured above, had the 22r and you were maxed out on the hghway at around 60mph

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
uhaul used those toyotas on their small box trucks too, back in the day. they show up on craigslist pretty regularly here, once or twice a year.

i looked at them a few times thinking they would be cool for a work truck if i found one with the 6 cylinder, not hte 22r. my parent's toyota rv, like the one pictured above, had the 22r and you were maxed out on the hghway at around 60mph
Yeah, the 22R was fine in a Celica but asking it to move an RV is asking too much, even a compact RV.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Eight Hole Ford Single to Dual Wheel Adapter

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals