• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Axle on Work Truck

backporch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Off Road
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245 75R16
If the problem turned out to be worn pinion bearings, is that a reasonable DIY fix? Any special tools required.

I haven't looked into the repair yet, but the general consensus that I hear is that the differential requires some experience to get it right.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You need a dial inch pound torque wrench, a dial indicator, a new crush sleeve, and a shim kit. It's not difficult but not simple either. You don't just slap new bearings in, you have to reset the preload, backlash, and carrier/pinion mesh which requires patience and finesse.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Not an easy fix. Requires bearing pullers and s hydraulic press for re-installation. Torque wrench capable of almost 200ft-lbs for torquing the pinion nut plus the stuff mentioned above.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
My experience doesn't support your statement. I had a b2 that I swapped in axles with what I was told was 4.10 gears in front and back. Came to find out that it was 4.10 in front and 3.73 in back. It was apparent quite quickly that something was wrong so I didn't use 4x4 much after finding out. But on soft dirt and grass there is lots of slip to compensate.
I say this just as information....I do NOT recommend putting in different gear ratios.
Alot of mud truck guys will run a higher gear in the front axle then the rear, just so the front floats better due to higher overall wheelspeed givin any certain RPM.

Either way yes its a bad idea on anything but a dedicated mud truck.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Old dodge trucks always had a slightly lower front gear from the factory. Only like 4.11 vs 4.10 but it was designed to do make the front end pull instead of being pushed so it would handle better in slippery conditions.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
My experience doesn't support your statement. I had a b2 that I swapped in axles with what I was told was 4.10 gears in front and back. Came to find out that it was 4.10 in front and 3.73 in back. It was apparent quite quickly that something was wrong so I didn't use 4x4 much after finding out. But on soft dirt and grass there is lots of slip to compensate.
I say this just as information....I do NOT recommend putting in different gear ratios.
Even on dirt there's still enough stress created that after some time, something could break just from fatigue. However I do agree most likely it wouldn't be on the very first time you did it. (wet grass, and of course mud, generally won't allow as much stress to build up).

To the OP:
I would suggest to just keep checking around your local wrecking yards for a 4.10:1 axle (also check Craigslist for people parting out vehicles too). 4.10 isn't exceptionally rare on 4x4 Rangers built after 1998 (4-cyl Rangers earlier than this often have them too, though these will be 7.5" axles).

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The statement of "it WILL blow up" was to make a point :)
And a good one

Yes, there are all sorts of things you can insert for a "work around" for the statement, lol

You could run 29" tires on the front with 4.10 axle, and 26.4" tires on the rear with 3.73 axle, although the, "just don't do it" would be what I would recommend

And you don't need to run a different ratio up front to pull better in the mud or ??, just have a set of 1"-2" smaller tires to put on the front when needed

Last edited:

backporch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Off Road
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245 75R16
All makes sense. Thanks. I think I am going to hang tight for now and keep the usage down. Maybe in warmer weather consider a swap or teardown. Hopefully I don't encounter a failure before then, but I probably won't stray far from home.

backporch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Off Road
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245 75R16
just contacted a manufacturer of bearings/gears and he said that the whine on power and quiet on coast sounds like a gear wear issue, not a bearing problem.

I also noticed their bearing kit does not come with shims and he said that usually you can install the original shims with some success, but would have to verify the contact pattern.

Last edited:

backporch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Off Road
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245 75R16
Since it looks like a used axle is probably my best bet, are there other vehicles that I can pull an axle from? Mustang? for a 99 ranger with 4:01 in an 8.8 rear?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
It’s best to get a Ranger or Bronco II axle with the gearing you need for the quickest and easiest swap. Anything else is more than likely going to need some fabrication work to make it fit.

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.
Even if a Mustang axle is the correct width, mounting is completely different.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Since it looks like a used axle is probably my best bet, are there other vehicles that I can pull an axle from? Mustang? for a 99 ranger with 4:01 in an 8.8 rear?
You want '93-09 Ranger axle. The ideal axle is an '03-07 FX4 LII - big bearings like Explorer and probably ratio you want.

'83-'92 Ranger axles are narrower, BII axles have spring pads in wrong place (too narrow - you can make work, but it isn't "right"), '10-11 Axles don't have the speedometer sensor in the housing. Mustang axles are MUCH wider - goes with the greater backspace rims, and use coil, not leaf springs (unless you are getting really old).

Last edited:

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Agree with above- try to find an axle out of an 03-07 FX4 Level 2, or 08-09 FX4 with a Torsen limited slip and 4.10 gears. In a pinch, any Ford Ranger 8.8 from the 93-09 with a 4.10 ratio would work. Then it would be a direct swap without any spring perch mods, etc.

You should be able to find one in a junkyard for a decent price. Look on car-part.com

backporch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Off Road
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245 75R16
Thanks... Now I have a good idea what to look for. My diff is open, I guess limited slip works and is more desirable?

I had been looking locally through craigslist and was trying to find a "lower" mileage truck that somebody was parting and specifically asked if the rear end was quiet. I didn't want to buy something from a seller who bought a parts truck and had never driven it.

Any suggestions what to look for? mileage, physical characteristics of an axle to have a good chance of swapping to something better? Junk yards are typically good at taking back parts that have issues, but I am also trying to avoid swapping the axle more than once.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals