• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Axle Identification

Mr.Wizard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey guys,

I've got the 2001 4x4 4.0L with 8.8", 4.10 gearing and 10" drums (I run 33 x 12.5 with a 3" suspension lift)

I blew my pinion gear on the rear diff. Got about 140k on it but looks like it was a hauler previously - I've done some offroading but nothing that should've blown it so bad. The gear oil wasn't in great shape so that likely contributed - lesson learned. The carrier assembly looks ok except for the pinion gear.

It looks like a used rear assembly is faster and cheaper than a rebuild (plus I'm sure there's additional damage to the carrier and ring gear and possibly axles). Has anyone used these guys before? They offer a 1 year warranty with an extended 3 year option and I found one with decently low mileage - obviously it's a risk vs. a re-build but I feel like the warranty, time saving and fact that I haven't done a rear diff before makes it less so:

Rear Axle from Allusedparts.com

I see they have a few different item numbers available for the 8.8 / 4.10 with 10":

I want to verify that any of those will fit my model? My diff tag reads:

V333B
4L10 88 1H20

I'm looking at the S330A listing but it looks like all the latter 4 listings are the same actual part?

Additionally, if I go that route is there any additional initial maintenance other than fresh gear oil, pads/drum rebuild and checking pinion torque before I pop it on?

Thanks as always for any help you can provide and any recommendations on alternate vendors would be wonderful, I'm located in Long Beach, CA.

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I would think your 02 4.0L 4WD Ranger with an 8.8 has 10 inch brakes.

If it doesn't... the 10 inch brake rear axle would bolt right in. Everything from the backing plate out is just different.

Mr.Wizard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would think your 02 4.0L 4WD Ranger with an 8.8 has 10 inch brakes.

If it doesn't... the 10 inch brake rear axle would bolt right in. Everything from the backing plate out is just different.
Yeah you're correct, I read some wrong information before I added that and deleted it. So that also means any of those different ID # axles would fit fine you think?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
They should all interchange. From your tag you also have a limited slip, so if you want to keep that see if any of those have a limited slip too...

All early Ranger axles technically bolt in place of eachother, the simplest swaps for you would be from a '93 to around '07 4.0L truck as they'll all be 28 spline 8.8" axles and likely all have 10" drums (I think the 9" drums are just a 7.5 thing, but I could be wrong). All Rangers 2011 or older have the same leaf spring size and spacing, everything '90 on has the same flange on the rear drive shaft, everything ~'87 and on will have the speed sensor on the rear diff, '93 was the body style change so that's when the axles got wider... around '07 I think they changed the flange on the axle shafts where the drum references so that's where that changes...

Don't get too picky, I have no idea what their numbers mean, but Ranger rear axles are simple to reference if complete, the only options were the gear ratios, drum brake size and open or limited slip other than the whole 7.5" vs 8.8", the only real outlier is FX4 Level II that had 31 spline 8.8's and are a complete odd duck, but would still bolt up :)

uncle ned

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992 1994 1999
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Transmission
Manual
If yours is a 4x4 be sure the ratio is the same as the front.

Just replaced my 3.27 in my 92 4x4 with a3.08 just right. but now looking for a 3.08 for the front.

Afraid to put it into 4x4 now.

is the frond the same as the rear on the 8.8 diff.

uncle ned

Shadowrider6661

D RANGED
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Stock
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
33 x 12.50 x 15
My credo
Drive it, Break it, Fix it, REPEAT !
I'd be very careful with the parts place you mentioned, its been a couple years, but I purchased an engine from an online shop and that name sounds very familiar, and never got the engine. Thankfully, I have an excellent bank that got my money back quickly. I can't say that they are the company I dealt with 100% certainty, but its better to double check to make sure you don't have to go through the same problem as me. Welcome to the club.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
They should all interchange. From your tag you also have a limited slip, so if you want to keep that see if any of those have a limited slip too...

All early Ranger axles technically bolt in place of eachother, the simplest swaps for you would be from a '93 to around '07 4.0L truck as they'll all be 28 spline 8.8" axles and likely all have 10" drums (I think the 9" drums are just a 7.5 thing, but I could be wrong). All Rangers 2011 or older have the same leaf spring size and spacing, everything '90 on has the same flange on the rear drive shaft, everything ~'87 and on will have the speed sensor on the rear diff, '93 was the body style change so that's when the axles got wider... around '07 I think they changed the flange on the axle shafts where the drum references so that's where that changes...

Don't get too picky, I have no idea what their numbers mean, but Ranger rear axles are simple to reference if complete, the only options were the gear ratios, drum brake size and open or limited slip other than the whole 7.5" vs 8.8", the only real outlier is FX4 Level II that had 31 spline 8.8's and are a complete odd duck, but would still bolt up :)
Careful with the blanket statement about diff speed sensors. Pre-95 axles built for non-abs trucks were not provisioned for the sensor. My 87 never had abs and the original axle did not have the sensor or the hole. It's not the only one I have owned like that.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Fair enough, I could have sworn RABS was introduced around then and installed on all Rangers and BII's, I haven't seen any Ranger axles without the speed sensor in the second gen or beyond and definitely all explorer axles I've seen have them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals