• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Axle Code F7 swap on a 2.5l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Has anyone put a LS 7.5/4.10 rear end on a 2wd 2.5 w/ manual trans. I'm not terribly concerned with gas mileage. I just want to know if anyone has done this, what do I have to do in order to swap them, different drivetrain? Any noticeable difference from the 7.5/3.73, good?bad? aside from the higher rpms on the highway?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Haven't done it but as long as new rear end is from a Ranger then it will just bolt in
The 4.10 doesn't change things that much, but you should notice faster 0-50mph

Disconnect drive shaft, flexible brake line, e-brake cables
Support frame well
Have another jack to support rear end
There are 4 u-bolts, 2 on each side, that hold the rear end to the leaf springs, they are often rusted pretty bad on the threads, you can try to remove the nuts but its often easier to just cut them off and use new ones, they are not expensive

Limited slip needs an additive in the gear oil, but you can buy the oil with additive already mixed in
If you already have gear oil then you can buy a small bottle of additive

Plan on doing the rear brakes, there were 2 sizes, 9" and 10" measure twice buy once, lol
I would get new slaves

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Haven't done it but as long as new rear end is from a Ranger then it will just bolt in
The 4.10 doesn't change things that much, but you should notice faster 0-50mph

Disconnect drive shaft, flexible brake line, e-brake cables
Support frame well
Have another jack to support rear end
There are 4 u-bolts, 2 on each side, that hold the rear end to the leaf springs, they are often rusted pretty bad on the threads, you can try to remove the nuts but its often easier to just cut them off and use new ones, they are not expensive

Limited slip needs an additive in the gear oil, but you can buy the oil with additive already mixed in
If you already have gear oil then you can buy a small bottle of additive

Plan on doing the rear brakes, there were 2 sizes, 9" and 10" measure twice buy once, lol
I would get new slaves
That's awesome to know, and I'm sorry if it's a dumb question but what slaves?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Also RonD what difference would it make if I swapped my 7.5 with an 8.8 rear end, I hear a lot of the time that the 4.56 is great for the 2.5, but I also hear that about the 4.10. I'd like to run 31s one day, but I highly doubt that I'll get to it just because I have such high miles on this engine, she runs great but I don't plan on spending a fortune on it.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Slaves = slave cylinders.
Attached to the backing plate. Uses hydraulic fluid to push the shoes against the drums.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No difference with using a Ranger 7.5" or 8.8", users choice, same swap, Explorer 8.8" is not bolt in needs modifications

You can go here to see how tire size changes "actual" rear axle ratios: https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/Gear_Tire_RatioChange.shtml

Say your stock Ranger had 27" tires and 3.73 rear axle
If you changed it to 30" tires then actual ratio would be 3.36, thats what it would drive like

If you changed to a 4.14(4.10) axle then with 30" tires it would drive like it does now with 27" tires

Look on drivers door label to see stock tire size

+1 to what alwaysFloored said, rear slaves are also called brake cylinders

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Slaves = slave cylinders.
Attached to the backing plate. Uses hydraulic fluid to push the shoes against the drums.
I've always just called them wheel cylinders, but yeah I plan on doing some maintenance to the junkyard axle.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes, wheel cylinder would be a correct term. Brake cylinder another. Slave is used because of the "master" cylinder that provides the distribution of the pressurized hydraulic fluid.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I'd recommend doing some math before you start the project. Going to 4.10's from 3.73's is about a 10% change, if you're changing tire size too you may end up losing ground. You can look up the diameter and revs per mile for the different tires and divide to come up with the effect it's going to have. 4.10 sounds like a lot of gear until you factor in the overdrive ratio in your trans, usually around 30%. If it's .67 like the T5 in my Mustang that would make the 4.10's act like a 2.75 axle on the highway, taller tires would have the same kind of effect.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I'd recommend doing some math before you start the project. Going to 4.10's from 3.73's is about a 10% change, if you're changing tire size too you may end up losing ground. You can look up the diameter and revs per mile for the different tires and divide to come up with the effect it's going to have. 4.10 sounds like a lot of gear until you factor in the overdrive ratio in your trans, usually around 30%. If it's .67 like the T5 in my Mustang that would make the 4.10's act like a 2.75 axle on the highway, taller tires would have the same kind of effect.
All I'm running right now is 205/65/15s, which is actually smaller than factory, I will do the math before I change tire size, thank you.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
4.10 gearing with the 2.5L is a good match with stock tires. If you are certain you are going to go to 31" tires in the future, you will certainly be going backwards. As mentioned before, there is a chart in the Tech section on the effects of gearing with different tire sizes and engine RPM.

For example, on my 2011, putting 4.56 gearing in it puts it comfortably in the tow/haul range of the scale but pushes the boundry of over reving the engine with the stock 29" tires if I were to choose to go back for say, winter tires or something. Consider carefully what you want to do and have all your items in place before you spend the money one way or the other. Since you expressed a strong doubt of ever getting 31" tires, you may want to take that into consideration and just go with the 4.10:1 gearing.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If stock tires were 27" and current tires are 25" with 3.73 ratio, then the actual ratio now is 4.03

Just FYI

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If stock tires were 27" and current tires are 25" with 3.73 ratio, then the actual ratio now is 4.03

Just FYI
No, the actual ratio hasn't changed....
The virtual ratio has changed.
Semantics, I know.?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, the virtual ratio would then be 3.73, 4.03 would be actual ratio, lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals