• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

rear axle bearing/seal replacement

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
If you have the bearing fall apart like that and have access to a welder, run a bead of weld around the inside of the bearing where the rollers would have been. The bearing will shrink and pretty much fall right out. Just and FYI.

MA Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I used a 5/16 combination wrench instead of a socket to remove the pinion shaft lock bolt to avoid rounding the head or breaking it off.

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You know what....I keep reading this and reading this on here, but I've never seen this yet at work...and I probably pull apart 2-3 8.8 or 7.5's a month.
I've seen it a few times but it's not at all common for me either. I'm not really sure why some guys have it happen so much. I'll never understand how they get broken either but they always break right at the end of the threads and just the pin portion with maybe a 1/2 thread stays in the carrier. I can usually spin them out with a pick.

Rattler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Winners never quit, quitters never win.
You know what....I keep reading this and reading this on here, but I've never seen this yet at work...and I probably pull apart 2-3 8.8 or 7.5's a month.
I never had a problem until I took mine to a shop and had the gears changed from 3.45 to 4.56. They shaved the cross pin down, and of course it broke.
Guys on here shaved a little bit off of the ring gear, and about 15k's off of the cross pin and it went right in. I copy catted them.
After refining and improving their process 3 x's. Now I am replacing bearings all over the place. Wish I had done this sooner. :(
It appears pieces of broken cross pin are bad for your bearings! LOL!

ReapersRevenge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 until i move, then 4.0!
Transmission
Manual
My credo
what?
I'm posting this for other guys that may use this thread to change theirs. FIRST be careful if you have the stupid plastic diff cover. I had no clue mine was plastic (covered in dirt) and after a couple whacks getting a screwdriver in there to top it off, it started to crack so I had to buy a metal one. Secondly, you do not need to get the seal out before you take the bearing out. I rented a slide hammer and bearing attachment ("T" style) and with a few hits it the seal and bearing came out. Other than that, all good. Well besides that my fluid was 25 years old and was burnt to all hell. Luckily my diff bearings are ok.

NewShockerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I know this is an OLD thread but wanted to ask the question.

I am in the process of changing out rear axle bearings (not bad), but also replacing since I am doing the seals, but my seals were leaking on the driver side rear... it's original seals from 2001...lol

I forgot to note which way I pulled the bearing out and it appears that one side is slightly more curved than the other.

does it matter which way the bearing is put back in?

I have taken a couple pictures.

Thanks,
-Nigel

Attachments

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
I'm not sure if it matters? But I've always done these with the numbers/marking facing out.

I've seen mention of the 'repair bearing'. I've never had good luck using those. My BII we retired got one installed, and it ate itself a day later. Did the correct repair and replaced the shaft and used high quality bearings and seals (national/timkin)

The Exploder we just put on the road we are working with-- the PO put on a repair bearing. Due to the extended width that really just about welds itself in place. We had to use a small cut off wheel to notch out the outer bearing race.

S-

fyrbeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
bumping....planning on replacing my rear bearings in my 7.5 soon. Not a huge Ford person so asking a noob type question. I recently replaced my rear brakes drums/shoes etc...and as one could guess I said hmmpf!! Shoulda changed the rear bearings while it was apart. I found the bolts holding the axle in. I am needing to know if their are clips inside the diff to remove as well? My Dodge had both clips and bolts.

Thanks to anyone who gives a shout out

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.
bumping....planning on replacing my rear bearings in my 7.5 soon. Not a huge Ford person so asking a noob type question. I recently replaced my rear brakes drums/shoes etc...and as one could guess I said hmmpf!! Shoulda changed the rear bearings while it was apart. I found the bolts holding the axle in. I am needing to know if their are clips inside the diff to remove as well? My Dodge had both clips and bolts.

Thanks to anyone who gives a shout out
There are no bolts holding the axles in. Only the c-clips inside the housing.

7.5 axle

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals