• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Really, really bad forced induction idea...

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
The problem I see with your plans to use a factory Ford MAF system is your still stuck using the stock size injectors and you still have to make some kind of boost referenced fuel pressure regulator or FMU to raise pressure under boost. Personally I think this is a perfect project to run a Microsquirt system on. Id call Stinger Performance or EFI Source and explain what your doing with that motor and they can set you up with a ECM that will plug directly into your original engine harness. Then you can swap in any size injector you need and have the ability to tune it yourself perfectly not to mention all the other greatly beneficial options offered with MS

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
The problem I see with your plans to use a factory Ford MAF system is your still stuck using the stock size injectors and you still have to make some kind of boost referenced fuel pressure regulator or FMU to raise pressure under boost. Personally I think this is a perfect project to run a Microsquirt system on. Id call Stinger Performance or EFI Source and explain what your doing with that motor and they can set you up with a ECM that will plug directly into your original engine harness. Then you can swap in any size injector you need and have the ability to tune it yourself perfectly not to mention all the other greatly beneficial options offered with MS

I had considered the microsquirt and megasquirt systems. Wasn't sure if I would be better off using one of them, or using a factory EEC with a TwEECer or a Moates product.

As far as a MAF goes, talking to the TwEECer guy(s), it seems that a spare 70 or 90mm maf Ive been tinkering with on my bench can be recalibrate in the TwEECer software and utilized.

Really want to get my hands dirty and do as much of it myself as I can (huge nerd; love learning new crap), so I'll be giving g both a call on Monday.

Appreciate it!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I've never messed with these aftermarket management systems. Can they set up something that will be OBD2 compatible software and diagnostic wise, but still plug into an EEC-IV harness?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I've never messed with these aftermarket management systems. Can they set up something that will be OBD2 compatible software and diagnostic wise, but still plug into an EEC-IV harness?
That's a really good question. Never thought about scan tool compatability.

From what I've read, the Megasquirt / Moates Quarterhorse / TwEECer communicate directly through tuning software, and your data logs become your trouble codes. Not quite as simple as a CEL, granted.

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
The short answer is no. But with this system you dont need that because I can open my laptop and look at every sensor in real time to see exactly what they are doing and pinpoint any issue. I can also datalog if I need to drive the vehicle to recreate a condition and view back later.
A few weeks ago I took my running and driving efi 5.0 Bronco2 and converted it to Microsquirt in about 20min and made vid of the whole install and my own personal opinions of the system. This is my 3rd MS system in my own person vehicles and I have installed and tuned at least 5 others.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Deathbypsi - do you run EGR on your V8 swaps with the MegaSquirts? Also, for guys with true dual exhaust, can you or do you have to run two wide band sensors?

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
No egr systems are used in MS. This is still a batch fire system so your perfectly fine running one O2 off one bank. My truck is reading off the drivers header only.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
No egr systems are used in MS. This is still a batch fire system so your perfectly fine running one O2 off one bank. My truck is reading off the drivers header only.

Just a quick question (haven't had time to watch the video yet)

Any trouble on emissions tests with MS?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
As long as you are tuned right you should be OK. Visual is an easy pass, an ECU is an ECU. The sniffer test is where you need to worry.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Mercedes C230 blower mounting bracket sitting on top of its future home.

Blower bolts directly to the flat portion.

Too perfect.

_20190415_133600.JPG

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
As long as you are tuned right you should be OK. Visual is an easy pass, an ECU is an ECU. The sniffer test is where you need to worry.
It's been too long since I read the emissions requirements for Pennsylvania, but can't remember if the truck is old enough to pass emissions on a visual alone.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's been too long since I read the emissions requirements for Pennsylvania, but can't remember if the truck is old enough to pass emissions on a visual alone.

You are actually in one of the worst areas to be in to do what you are doing.

1974 and older gets nothing. 1975-1995 (wow, that seems like it should be more than a 20 year range) gets visual, gas cap, and 2-speed dyno/sniffer test in Pittsburgh/Philly regions, just visual gas cap everywhere else, and 96+ gets just the OBD2/gas cap test, except in the Northern 8 counties, where everything is just visual/gas cap.

So being in Pittsburgh, and having a pre-OBD2 vehicle actually means you take the strictest test in the state.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Well crap. Maybe will need that blower control switch and the ability to reconnect factory emissions before a sniffer test.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
You are actually in one of the worst areas to be in to do what you are doing.

1974 and older gets nothing. 1975-1995 (wow, that seems like it should be more than a 20 year range) gets visual, gas cap, and 2-speed dyno/sniffer test in Pittsburgh/Philly regions, just visual gas cap everywhere else, and 96+ gets just the OBD2/gas cap test, except in the Northern 8 counties, where everything is just visual/gas cap.

So being in Pittsburgh, and having a pre-OBD2 vehicle actually means you take the strictest test in the state.
Sorry to interrupt with some useless information, but I very, very rarely get to say this:
NJs laws are much better than yours.
95 and earlier, no inspection. 96+, OBD2 test.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Sorry to interrupt with some useless information, but I very, very rarely get to say this:
NJs laws are much better than yours.
95 and earlier, no inspection. 96+, OBD2 test.
Yeah, but I can't pump my own gas and NJ has rather draconian CCW laws. I pump gas and carry often, I only get inspected once a year.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals