• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Really?? No "how-to" for coolant flush in the tech articles

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Who exactly do you think the staff are other than people like you with real lives and a few minutes here and there to work on their trucks in their spare time and a desire to volunteer to help with the forum?

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I thought being part of a staff or team would mean putting in a little extra effort than the average person. Guess I was wrong. Guess we should just wait for someone else to figure it out. OOOOOOOH WAIT why don't you just tell me "that's not my job, someone else will do it". Even though you are part of the staff?? One would think that being a productive member of the forum should mean adding and making the forum better and more useful to EVERYONE, not just hope someone else will do a write up on it. Am I wrong to think that from staff members?? Shouldn't they be contributing to the site?? I completely understand that they don't get paid, don't have much time, have lives and whatnot but I've read about 40 different posts about clam chowda which I know not all staff members are a part of but when you have time do BS about dumb stuff then you have time to contribute to the site. Just sayin. So I guess bring on the rants and raves because I know they are coming.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Several times in my professional career I've heard the following from highly respected leaders in a few large corporations. Wasn't always worded the same but had the exact same meaning.

If you are going to complain about how things are done and/or short comings in the system... before complaining about it... have a solution to correct the short fall and an implementation plan to correct it.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I thought being part of a staff or team would mean putting in a little extra effort than the average person. Guess I was wrong. Guess we should just wait for someone else to figure it out. OOOOOOOH WAIT why don't you just tell me "that's not my job, someone else will do it". Even though you are part of the staff?? One would think that being a productive member of the forum should mean adding and making the forum better and more useful to EVERYONE, not just hope someone else will do a write up on it. Am I wrong to think that from staff members?? Shouldn't they be contributing to the site?? I completely understand that they don't get paid, don't have much time, have lives and whatnot but I've read about 40 different posts about clam chowda which I know not all staff members are a part of but when you have time do BS about dumb stuff then you have time to contribute to the site. Just sayin. So I guess bring on the rants and raves because I know they are coming.
No reason for rants and raves here. Taking 20 or 30 seconds periodically to make a quick comment in a thread is a lot different than spending half a day doing a maintenance task, taking photos or video along the way, verifying facts, researching variations of the task due to different drivetrains etc. And then writing the procedure in a coherent way and submitting it for inclusion in the how-to's.

The staff and moderators already do "extra" many of them jump in quite regularly with important info, answering questions with very detailed info. They do more than you realize. They are contributing to the site in many ways. Most of them are contributing every day. They are NOT just sitting around waiting for someone else to do it.

Is there room for improvement on this site? Yes. And every member has the opportunity to jump in and help. This is definitely the best forum for any subject that I have ever been involved with.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
ok so that's easy. Have Jim Oaks post a thread that says "wanting to update the how to section, need input from members on basic maintenance. Going to cover oil changes, trans fluid changes, coolant flush, battery changes, alternator replacements, need input on what tools, time it took, how do YOU do it" and I guarantee you everyone will chime in with what works, what doesn't work and the right way to do the job in the most effective/least costly way. I never said the staff wasn't doing anything but when you are talking about a 20 year old forum then you would want to be the best of the best right? So why not cover all aspects of the truck?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

It's everyone's job to contribute, not just the staff. If a write up on a coolant flush is so important to you... go make one.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
ok so that's easy. Have Jim Oaks post a thread that says "wanting to update the how to section, need input from members on basic maintenance. Going to cover oil changes, trans fluid changes, coolant flush, battery changes, alternator replacements, need input on what tools, time it took, how do YOU do it" and I guarantee you everyone will chime in with what works, what doesn't work and the right way to do the job in the most effective/least costly way. I never said the staff wasn't doing anything but when you are talking about a 20 year old forum then you would want to be the best of the best right? So why not cover all aspects of the truck?
Great. You understand the need.

Now stop asking others to do it and go write up something useful.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
The real life "what's helpful and what's not helpful" info is in the forum threads, which can be searched. Not trying to give you a hard time. But this forum, in its entirety is a hobby. It is all voluntary. It is not a business with people being paid to write content. There is no central TRS building with offices and shop with lifts and computers and dynos and test track with a bustling staff trying to figure out all there is to know about Rangers and other Ranger based vehicles. Everything here is done by volunteers. Even Jim, the owner of the site does this purely out of his own enthusiasm for these vehicles.

Maintaining a website takes a lot of time. Time to create content, time to make sure security is updated, time to check for and remove spam and debris from hackers, time to make sure forum members are not abusing their privileges or each other. Therefore, some responsible members have committed to volunteer their time to assist with all this work so we can enjoy it. Any money from membership fees and advertising goes toward paying fees for the domain name registration, leasing server space and any other miscellaneous overhead costs. It isn't free. All the content here has come from volunteer efforts.

Some websites have paid staff. Those would be companies like Ford or Motortrend or oil companies or parts suppliers. But this is not like that. So if you see something lacking, jump in and help out in that area.
That pretty much sums it up.

I'm an enthusiast. I don't see myself as any kind of influencer, just a Ford Ranger enthusiast with a website dedicated to the Ford Ranger.

The "staff" are moderators that volunteer to watch over the forum. It's not their "job" to write articles. However, occassionally they will point out something in the forum if they think it should be added to the tech library.

Many of the Tech Library submissions come from enthusiasts that want to share their experience with other enthusiasts. In 20 years, I've never had someone mad because we didn't have an article covering a specific topic. Now if someone was paying to use this site, I could see them being disappointed if they couldn't find something they needed.

If someone flushes their cooling system and wants to share that information with others, I'd be more than happy to add it to the Tech Library.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals