• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Really goopy radiator

CoolMick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
DE1E950D-FCED-4ED6-ABA4-15A2DC580BA1.jpeg

Picked up this 94 4.0 a couple days ago and just now had the time to take a good look under the hood, on a scale of 1 to 10 how concerned do y’all think I should be about a cracked head/blown head gasket just based on this chronically dirty radiator… oil looks good and no white smoke out the exhaust. Runs pretty strong. Has anyone seen corrosion in the rad that looks like this?

I’ve got a 2.3 L as well that I replaced a cracked head on a year ago that didn’t start showing signs of it until I started replacing parts for the cooling system that had gone bad, hoping that I haven’t set myself up for round two.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I'd do the Prestone radiator flush a couple times and then watch it for a while. Get the whole cooling system clean.

CoolMick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I'd do the Prestone radiator flush a couple times and then watch it for a while. Get the whole cooling system clean.
A flush is definitely first on my list, I was going to just use distilled water but I will get the Prestone flush instead.

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
That could be the result of an older HG failure, cracked head, or some over application of Stop Leak compound. It looks like old oil in the coolant system and they didn't do a flush. I've never seen black gel from mixing Dexcool with green coolant. That will take a multiple aggressive flushes to get it out of all components in the system. Hopefully you'll luck out and dodge a bullet. I had a 3.8 Chevy V6 that kept overheating on hills so it fouled the cooling system with oil instantly due to faulty intake manifold gaskets. The oil never showed a drop of milkshake due to the difference in pressure between the cooling (16psi) and lubricating system (45psi).

CoolMick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
That could be the result of an older HG failure, cracked head, or some over application of Stop Leak compound. It looks like old oil in the coolant system and they didn't do a flush. I've never seen black gel from mixing Dexcool with green coolant. That will take a multiple aggressive flushes to get it out of all components in the system. Hopefully you'll luck out and dodge a bullet. I had a 3.8 Chevy V6 that kept overheating on hills so it fouled the cooling system with oil instantly due to faulty intake manifold gaskets. The oil never showed a drop of milkshake due to the difference in pressure between the cooling (16psi) and lubricating system (45psi).
So far my track record for dodging bullets isn’t so good, I’m feeling like a sucker currently lol. I’ll start with some thorough flushes and go from there.
My 2.3 L ranger also never had any milkshake when it had a cracked head, so I’m for sure not ruling it out as a possibility with this one

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Is the truck an automatic?

If the trans cooler thats built into the main radiator is leaking it can cause that.

However that does look more like oil gunk.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
flush multiple times and keep an eye on it, for sure. and you can check compression and do a vacuum check too, just to get a little more info

CoolMick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Is the truck an automatic?

If the trans cooler thats built into the main radiator is leaking it can cause that.

However that does look more like oil gunk.
It is a manual

flush multiple times and keep an eye on it, for sure. and you can check compression and do a vacuum check too, just to get a little more info
Good idea, I’ll add those things to my list.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals